Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling deciding between Trotec 300 and 360

Struggling deciding between Trotec 300 and 360

Been a lurker here for a few weeks, but first post.

Narrowed down to a Speedy 300 and 360, but for the life of me cannot decide. I think my biggest hold up is the downdraft/hold down bottom in the 360 that the 300 does not have.

This is our first laser table, so I'm not exactly sure if we will ever truly need it...but would stink if we do need it and don't have it.

I noticed many of the most common posters on here run a 300, so I'm sure I may be overvaluing its use, or there are some other work arounds to make it more bearable if working with thinner materials.

Thanks in advance, and thank you popular posters for all the info you've provided me in my research!

I just bought a brand new Speedy 360 in 80 W. Very very happy with it and got a superb deal. While it's not my first laser, my Son and I are very happy with it, the support, and the software. The hold down draft table has come in use when I've had to cut very thin materials. I'm using a Fume Extractor but not the Trotec Atmos.

Hope this helps.
    Trotec Speedy 360 - 80W, Graphtec CE6000-60, Brother GTX, Sawgrass SG400

I don't have a trotec but when ever I cut thin material such a paper, thin leather or veneer , I just use magnets if your table is not magnetic small weight work just fine.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

If its within your budget go for it, you will use the feature if you have it.

just curious as to difference in price
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    If its within your budget go for it, you will use the feature if you have it.
    Thank you Keith. Your Corian block was actually one of my plans to utilize if I did not go with the 360. Do you still sell those?

Get as big as you can afford now. I went with the Speedy 400 and get a lot of business from others with smaller machines.
    120w Trotec Speedy 400 with rotary and cutting grid table. And now acquiring an endless collection of woodworking tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Larter View Post
    Get as big as you can afford now. I went with the Speedy 400 and get a lot of business from others with smaller machines.
    Thanks Sam. I understand the sentiment, but what specifically makes you win business with a bigger machine? Just some larger items?

20190530_193457.jpgThe Speedy 400 has the pass through and a 12" Z-Axis. I've done everything from the tail rotor from a Cobra helicopter (48" long) to ammo boxes that are as big as my laser bed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    120w Trotec Speedy 400 with rotary and cutting grid table. And now acquiring an endless collection of woodworking tools.

----There's just some things you can't do in smaller machines
    antlers.jpgebby.jpgbox.jpgSTlarge-cm.jpgSTlarge.jpgDSC04812.jpgDSC02813 (2).jpg

--being able to do some of those things will bring in work!

(mind you, not all of it is a pleasant experience)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

On the other hand, I doubt that I've lost more than a few thousand in sales over 20 years in the business because I don't have a monster table. I had a large job several years ago which I couldn't engrave in my machine. But I couldn't have handled it logistically even if I had a large machine. It was around a $15,000 job and I gave it to a friend.

It's more important, in my view, to get plenty of power so you can make use of the speed of the Trotec.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    It's more important, in my view, to get plenty of power so you can make use of the speed of the Trotec.
    Absolutely true. I rarely have to slow down from 100% speed when engraving.

Hey all - Is there a such thing as too much exhaust draw? As in maybe it starts to move too much air in the cabinet and can shift around material?

Was going to set up the 2HP with a Speedy 300 (single port), but only a few feet away. So the 2HP should be plenty, if not too much?

Is there a way to regulate the 2HP and only run it at a certain % of its power?

Thanks

It's way more than you need--especially for a short run. It may also exhaust conditioned air causing your heating and AC bills to skyrocket.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Meged View Post
    I just bought a brand new Speedy 360 in 80 W. Very very happy with it and got a superb deal. While it's not my first laser, my Son and I are very happy with it, the support, and the software. The hold down draft table has come in use when I've had to cut very thin materials. I'm using a Fume Extractor but not the Trotec Atmos.

Hope this helps.
    What kind of pricing did you get on your Speedy 360? Im in the market and wondering what kind of deals I should be looking for before making the jump.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!