Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BORG or local wood supplier for cabinet plywood?

Buy from a sheet goods supplier. And yes, the good stuff is going to cost you more because that's what it takes to get North American produced product with thicker veneers and less voids...as well as material that isn't rotary veneer faced. Historically, I would have said that $90 is high, but prices of many materials are escalated substantially right now in the marketplace due to the pandemic, etc. If you are flexible with the veneer species or painting, ask the supplier what they can do that's more economical. Prices can sometimes vary up and down that way. Sometimes maple is less expensive than birch for me, for example. I actually like the maple better because of the close pore structure if I'm going to be painting it. The pre-finished one side I sometimes buy is most often maple, too. The pre-finished side goes on the inside of the cabinet...I hate spraying into boxes.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-12-2021 at 8:56 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have not had any problems with the four or six sheets of Oak that I purchased at Home Depot. I have had problems with Mahogany and Cherry ply that I purchased at a much more expensive place. I have not had any problems from a different supplier that also has a wider variety than Home Depot.

I paid no attention at all to the brand and I purchased the HD stuff one or two sheets at a time in case it was garbage. I have not purchased any in the last three years since I have simply been using up the stock that I had on hand (I purchased many sheets from a guy who was moving and his stuff was all great).

Next project, however, I will need to purchase more.

If you have not dealt with a supplier in the past, just be careful what you buy and the quantity that you buy if they are not likely to take it back (or if your personality will not have you take it back).

HD here carries Purebond C-3 grade in both red oak and birch. After a BAD experience with Rosenburg from Lowes, I buy from HD, picking out the sheets I want. On last cabinet job before retiring, bought from both HD and local supplier (twice the cost, plus 60 mile round trip.) There was no difference in quality. I prefinish my sheets in the flat, using an edge painting pad and water based poly. For poly, my first choice is Varathane Diamond floor finish, in gloss formulation. Using pad, apply first coat. When that's dry (about 30 minutes) sand down "nubs, and apply next two coats.

If $90 is a deal breaker, I have had good success using Radiata pine plywood from Home Depot, it is currently $45.98 a sheet it is described as: Cabinet Grade Plywood Panel (Common: 23/32 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft.; Actual: 0.688 in. x 48 in. x 96 in.) Model #107748 It cuts well and will take screws

I started building my kitchen cabinets about 4 weeks ago. Hope to be done and ready to spray finish in about 4-6 weeks. Just about done with the carcasses now - will hopefully finish this weekend. First major cabinet project. I am using solid poplar edge banding (1.25" wide) attached with glue and lamello tenso p-14 snap-together connectors. Carcasses assembled with rabbets, glue, and screws. I looked at the orange and blue Borg plywood and instantly walked away - just too expensive for the quality which looks pretty poor. I went to my local wood supplier and found 3/4 pre-finished maple and also looked at 3/4 baltic birch (5 x 5 sheets). I decided to go with the baltic birch 3/4" ply for the boxes - solid backs and tops.. I am very happy so far with the quality of the material - outstanding compared to what I have found at the big box stores. They were also to deliver free of charge, due to the quantity I ordered - 15 sheets each of 1/2" and 3/4".

SB

Hmmm...lots of options here. I'll do a test run with the laundry cabinets with the BORG wood this weekend and post back!

Blog Entries
    HD c3 purebond is mostly acceptable. The birch is better than the maple and you will still need to inspect every sheet for a usable face, unless its going into a drawer base cabinet..

I have yet to see any other borg ply I would use for anything cabinet related.

Turns out the blue place has 4X8 Maple sheets at 55$, grade C-2. Worth it? ANd, is 7 ply better than 9 ply, for any screwing application?

More ply = Better in most cases.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My local lumberyard/hardware store (not big box) is ordering me 5x5 Baltic Bitch for $37.50 for a 3/4” sheet. They also sell Festool. Menards had some decent stuff but it was $50+/sheet.

Not sure if you have a Menards nearby, but around here, they carry the same shop grade 3/4 birch and maple hardwood plywood that I would get from my hardwood supplier before they closed up. Price is around $55 for a 4x8 sheet. They used to carry Columbia, but I think the brand is Timber Products now. They do carry a couple import lines also, just make sure you don't grab them by mistake.

Turns out the blue place had sheets @ 50$. Got them cut up and not a single void or delamination. Bought lottery tickets. Didn't get a single number......

You should go to a couple cabinet shops and ask them where they buy their plywood from. Here the plywood from a supplier is so much nicer than HD and cheaper. Also they have pre finished on one or two sides. I think I paid around 60 for 3/4” pre finished two sides a couple weeks ago
    Bob C

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Colson View Post
    Kitchen, Bath, Laundry. None of the Carcasses will be exposed, these will be face frame. My concern is about the "screwing" part, will the BORG wood be so bad that screwing is pointless? I do plan on corner bracing blocks, top and bottom. The total project price difference between the BORG and the wood supplier approaches several hundred $$$, and when I factor in drawer and door hardware, I'm getting quite out of budget range....
    If the better plywood is out of your range, I’d go with MDF (Medite moisture resistant if it’s an option) or melamine-clad particleboard. Far less expensive and much more consistent of a product.

I do not buy from HD because they store it on shelves with arms and I have had too many "wavy" sheets. Menards stores flat as does my other source. Plywood with permanent waves or curves is just a pain.