Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ?'s re: mudroom built ins

Thx Steve. How did the 2 part locker board/seat board help with installation? Seems like it just adds another step?

Also is there a continuous sheet of plywood under the locker board/seat board? Any issue with wood movement since one side can’t breathe - cupping, warping? Guessing you screwed it down at one end or the middle to let it move.

Lastly, I was planning to make the locker section one big piece, or possibly two, to save a bit of wood (not having to double up on each vertical). I see many benefits to making each box separately though.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Thx Steve. How did the 2 part locker board/seat board help with installation? Seems like it just adds another step?

Also is there a continuous sheet of plywood under the locker board/seat board? Any issue with wood movement since one side can’t breathe - cupping, warping? Guessing you screwed it down at one end or the middle to let it move.

Lastly, I was planning to make the locker section one big piece, or possibly two, to save a bit of wood (not having to double up on each vertical). I see many benefits to making each box separately though.
    Matt, the 2 part technique allows the bottom of the top box to be built in the shop, then the parts to be assembled on site but the front bench board to be one piece for appearance . There was no way to transport this all to the site in one piece for me and it could not be site built. Building in your own house is a different scenario, you may find it better to change the system a little.

I used 1x4 stringers under the seat board. I was trying to cut weight a little as the boxes were going to be heavy. There is a radiator under this one, and no reports of anything moving yet, it's been installed for a year now.

I wanted to build in bigger sections too, but the weight of the parts adds up pretty quick, so I made more # of manageable size. One thing, you'll end up adding support to the backs for hooks and hardware, so they are not just a simple 1/4 ply back. I used a framed panel back, and that added weight to. Most of mine is 1/2" MDF, which I hate but I had it around so...

Understood on all accounts. I appreciate all your help and advice!