Thread: UV-curing finish cures in sunlight

UV-curing finish cures in sunlight

Has anybody tried this finish? https://www.solarez.com/product/brus...s-not-lacquer/ It is a wood finish which cures by exposure to UV light. The manufacturer says sunlight has enough UV in it to cure the finish in a few minutes. They have a brushable version, and a sprayable version. They say it has zero VOC!

Yes, I've used Solarez on a guitar project. And yes, it fully cures in sunlight. Quite quickly, too. My singular issue with the product has been a film that I've had to carefully remove before top coating with other products when that is appropriate, but that's a small thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yes, I've used Solarez on a guitar project. And yes, it fully cures in sunlight. Quite quickly, too. My singular issue with the product has been a film that I've had to carefully remove before top coating with other products when that is appropriate, but that's a small thing.
    What is the film? Do you remove it by washing with something simple like water?

I'm not sure what it was...I guess an artifact from curing of the particular product I was using. I used DNA to clean it off. Since I use waterborne finishes, I'm pretty anal about having a clean, clean surface. (I was using the Solarez product aimed at grain filling)

I gotta say, it's the kewelest product I've ever used...whoda thought curing fulling in a few minutes with just the sun would be a thing.
    --

Would you use it on a piece of furniture?

This is pretty interesting. Watched a Youtube video of guy using the sealer and topcoat on a guitar. Pretty impressive to go from stain to buffed in 1 day.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Would you use it on a piece of furniture?
    I'm not sure I would unless I could do components separately. For me, Solarez appears to be easier to apply and cure on smaller things that you can easily hold and move in the sunlight. But I could be wrong about that and perhaps using some kind of larger "lazy suzan" type thing would help with driveway curing. You do have to be really careful when applying the finish that your environment isn't UV rich, too...like through windows and doors. You need to get it on and then do the cure. This guitar body was easy because it was mounted on my finishing stick and I could wave it around in the sun just outside my shop

The end results was thus...

--