Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you guys waxing your plane soles with?

What are you guys waxing your plane soles with?

I use paste wax, rub on, wait, buff off. It works but it's slow. I've recently seen some people just scribble a couple squiggly lines with some sort of more solid little chunk of wax, but i don't know what it is. What works for you guys?

Gulf Wax. You find it in the canning section of the grocery store. One box will last a lifetime.

Blog Entries
    Gulf wax. I cut one end off the carton and continue to cut the carton back as I use it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Awesome thank you. Bonus points because I love when i can walk into a "regular" store and buy something useful for woodworking!

I just use tea lights, pull the wicks out and they're good to go.

I got a bag of old candles from my mom. It should last forever.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    I got a bag of old candles from my mom. It should last forever.

Ain't it the truth.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I mix 2/3 beeswax to 1/3 boiled linseed oil in a old muffin pan. Melt in the oven at a low temperature. Once all the wax is melted pull it out of the oven an let it cool to room temperature. It hardened to a little bit harder than a normal candle an will last years.

I bought a little beeswax candle at the farmer’s market.

FWIW, I find paraffin from tea candles (same as gulf wax) works considerably better than beeswax, which has a bit of tack. Even though I prefer the idea of using beeswax... I go through about one candle once every very long time.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Oiled rag in a can, candle, Gulf wax, it all works and kinda depends on what is handy. Not worth obsessing over.

ken

I use both a "rag in a can" or a chunk of paraffin, cut off a block of paraffin. Trying to decide which I like better.

I have a rag in a can, a chunk of beeswax lying around and some chunks of gulf wax. Whatever is convenient.

Packrats prefer beeswax.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Soles will get a few squiggly lines from an old , plain candle less than a dollar at Wal E World.

To "oil" the rest of the plane....old, plain, cheap paint brush that has a "filling" of 3in1 oil.....just rub the brush around as need be.....brush is around a dollar bill, got it while getting that candle.

I also use that candle on the threads of screws....helps prevent them from snapping off in the Ash, or Oak....Candle started out as a white 6".....now down to ~4"....

Blog Entries
    It depends on what is at hand.

There are a couple hunks of candle wax in the shop. A couple hunks of bee's wax in a drawer.

There is also a rag impregnated with furniture oil/wax used to rub down planes, tools, turnings and even furniture.

There is also a piece of cloth with the old cloudy version of Johnson & Johnson's paste wax that is occasionally used.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)