Thread: live edge walnut coffee table

live edge walnut coffee table

Just got the first coat of poly a live edge coffee table for my daughter as a house warming present - they just bought their first house. Told her I would make anything she wanted and this was the request. Wasn't sure I would like the floating legs at the one end but they are growing on me. Couple more coats and I can get it out of the shop. Opinions on the floating legs welcome and encouraged.

IMG_0719.jpg IMG_0716.jpg IMG_0720.jpg IMG_0725.jpg IMG_0715.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Wow, Bill, love it. Very organic. You did good. You did very good!

I like the table and the walnut works so well. Nakashima would be proud of you!

The floating legs are very cool.

John

Looks great as usual bill.

Very nicely done Bill!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Cool variation on the theme. Impressed with your creativity. Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Very nice piece. I like the floating legs, I wouldn’t have done it personally but that is my boring personality. It makes the piece interesting.

The floating legs at only one end look fabulous to me. I have a more modern taste and style, so that mixed with the "rustic" is awesome. I think it balances perfectly and is a functional sculpture and not just a furniture piece.

Thx for the comments and kind words gents. The place I get slabs always has some busted up slabs that I can pick up for pennies and these become the rails on the tables, and the ends are short cut offs that I get for 5 bucks each. These can yield some great figure and since they are 2 to 3" thick they can be resawn for boxes, door panels, etc. I have 6 or 7 sets of book matched walnut and cherry taped together just waiting for inspiration. The last live edge coffee table I did was for a breast cancer survivor so one end was a take on the breast cancer ribbon.

Anyway, the floating end still strikes me as a bit to petite. But it's finished so I let it go in a day or so. Thx again for the feedback.

How is the rail attached to the underside of the top? Thanks
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    How is the rail attached to the underside of the top? Thanks
    Mortises and loose tenons. I didn't take any pics of this one but it's basically the same as the last one I made.

20190522_170140.jpg

And the leg is attached the same way - loose tenons.

Bill, I think it is a waste of good wood. I would bust that thing up and chuck it in the wood stove. It does nothing for me.

But who cares? If your daughter is happy, that is all that matters.

I will say it looks to be well executed. Even though the style does nothing for me, it looks to be well built, a thing that will last.

I just watched season II of the Mandolorian with my eldest daughter a few days ago. I can already hear her asking for a table just like that, only all pointy and edgy like the space ship (spoiler alert) the main character ended up owning to be her coffee table. I would build it for her because she is my daughter, and I would use similar floating legs to separate the "ship" top from the "planet" base. The floating legs do work for me.

Who cares what I think? Should be no one. But you should care what your daughter thinks, just as I do for mine. Style is subjective, individual, ephemeral. Every wood worker ever, since BC, has had to acknowledge the stylistic desires of our clients within the limits of our budget, technology and materials.

If your client is happy and the thing is as well built as your stuff seems to be on this website you shouldn't give two hoots in a rain barrel what I think about style. I do like those floating legs though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    Bill, I think it is a waste of good wood. I would bust that thing up and chuck it in the wood stove. It does nothing for me.

But who cares? If your daughter is happy, that is all that matters.

I will say it looks to be well executed. Even though the style does nothing for me, it looks to be well built, a thing that will last.

I just watched season II of the Mandolorian with my eldest daughter a few days ago. I can already hear her asking for a table just like that, only all pointy and edgy like the space ship (spoiler alert) the main character ended up owning to be her coffee table. I would build it for her because she is my daughter, and I would use similar floating legs to separate the "ship" top from the "planet" base. The floating legs do work for me.

Who cares what I think? Should be no one. But you should care what your daughter thinks, just as I do for mine. Style is subjective, individual, ephemeral. Every wood worker ever, since BC, has had to acknowledge the stylistic desires of our clients within the limits of our budget, technology and materials.

If your client is happy and the thing is as well built as your stuff seems to be on this website you shouldn't give two hoots in a rain barrel what I think about style. I do like those floating legs though.

C'mon Scott - say what you really think. LMFAO

I love the straight ahead comments. Truth be told, the live edge stuff is not my cup of tea, but when cajoled into it I draw the line at metal bases. And yes, a daughters request is not to be taken lightly. In this particular instance the joy of building something came from being able to deliver on something she wanted, not so much from the artifact itself. But it was fun and now I get to pour epoxy on the slab my wife wants for the dresser I made her. When it rains it pours. I've never been a big fan of Nakashima anyway, so maybe these can be the last time I do a slab anything. We'll see.

I'll gladly accept that you like the floating legs, which is the cool thing about the table. The rest is just mother nature taking me along for the ride. And good luck with the mandolorian thing, whatever that is. (I don't watch tv)