Thread: mini lathe

mini lathe

i believe i made a mistake on getting a mini lathe,,i have a jet 1642 and for the sake of moving it and the weight i thought i would get a mini late,,i found out tonight trying to turn a bowl it wasnt any fun at all,,the bed was no where near long enough to use the full size lathe tools,,you had no room to move and it seemed like everything was getting in the way,,plus even though the mini lathe was a 1 hp it seemed like it wanted to bog down,,i believe im going to return the mini lathe and find a mobile solution to the 1642,,its really hard to go back once you have had the full size lathe,,maybe im not giving it much of a chance but its really awkard for me after turning on a full size lathe

What kind of lathe? I’ve had varied experiences with different brands of mini lathes, though now with my Laguna 2436 I’d never want to go back to a mini for bowl turning!

It's a jet1221vs

I guess that it's all about what you're used to. I started out with a Jet 1014vs and turned dozens of small bowls and boxes on it before buying my Vega. I never had an issue using full size tools, but I did need to keep the cuts light to prevent stalling its 1/2 HP motor. That said, if it doesn't work for you, you are right to return it.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Why not keep it? I have 2 minis and a 1642. The 1642 does all for the roughing. I think you're asking too much from your midi. It does not have the hp of your big lathe, so of course you will have to adjust how aggressive you are when turning. Take shallower cuts. After I roughing, the items that can fit on the minis are turned there.

Jeff,
    Are you an NCWoodworker.net member? They have a loaner lather on a signup list with tools/grinder for new turners. Also, when the NC Furniture School opens, they have 12-15 lathes of various sizes and manufacturers you could try. Maybe Stuart can give an opportunity to try a larger lathe. Check both the forum and the school out. Tell 'em I said 'Hi'.
    Best

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Why not keep it? I have 2 minis and a 1642. The 1642 does all for the roughing. I think you're asking too much from your midi. It does not have the hp of your big lathe, so of course you will have to adjust how aggressive you are when turning. Take shallower cuts. After I roughing, the items that can fit on the minis are turned there.
    I agree with Kyle. I have a couple of 1642s and a PM3520b but I'll keep the two jet mini lathes. They are excellent for smaller things. (Some ideas: A few shorter tool handles might help. Make sure the pulleys are set right. Use sharp tools and finesse instead of force.) They are also great for visitors, loaners, and to haul somewhere to do demonstrations and such. No way I'm going to haul a larger lathe, I think I had enough energy for that back when I was 69 but those days are past!

wandmaking_comp1.jpg

JKJ