Thread: Carpenters taking a shortcut.

Carpenters taking a shortcut.

My handrailing was not well mounted and after a few years the drywall got crushed. These wood blocks fixed it.

Railing.jpg

I know the color seems bold but it reflects other details.

I was taught to attach handrails to studs.
    Regards,

Tom

Looks good ,I like bright colors. Everybody used to. It was light bulbs and interior decorators that brought in the possibility
    of drab. But for me hand rails have to be dark mahogany ,at least in color.

I made hand rails sort of like that but a bit taller rather than wide for both sides of the stairs for my parents. My mother loved them. I found them annoying, if I put my hand around them in use id run into the mounting bracket. Id figure out a different way if I did it again either in the wood and how it was shaped or different mounting brackets. Mel I remember one customer who had an old home and a heavy fancy old Cherry top rail. Looked beautiful then aged over many years even more so.

Looks good Tom.

I ran into a similar issue with my basement handrail. After not being to repair it I took the drywall off and discovered that there wasn't any wood blocking in the steel studs.

Once that was addressed it's amazing how sturdy the handrail mount becomes..........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Looks good Tom.

I ran into a similar issue with my basement handrail. After not being to repair it I took the drywall off and discovered that there wasn't any wood blocking in the steel studs.
    Rod, I'm curious. Are steel studs the norm for homes in Canada? Or was that a personal preference?
    Homes still tend to be built with wooden studs where I live. Commercial tends to be steel.

Thanks.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Contractor's unskilled helpers not caring about workmanship had me repairing the handrail mounts in our new house, plus cutting open the insulation covering one covered over basement window, adding new drywall screws around dozens of popped drywall screws and fixing the plastic drain pipe connections (left a nut off one!) under the kitchen sink. The list goes on, but you get the point.