Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roof Gutters

Most important is where the water will go after it leaves the roof. In Mass you probably are not trying to use the water as you might in Tucson and you probably have a basement to keep dry. Consider this before sizing your gutters. If you want to drain a big area all to one point it may require different gutters.

Why Gutters? Go gutterless. All is required is hardscape below the roof line, lined sloping trench, drainage ABS, covered with landscape fabric and pea gravel, all leading to a DIY cistern, a buried perforated 50g tank filled with gravel. Cheaper, zero maintenance.

Just a thought.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Why Gutters? Go gutterless. All is required is hardscape below the roof line, lined sloping trench, drainage ABS, covered with landscape fabric and pea gravel, all leading to a DIY cistern, a buried perforated 50g tank filled with gravel. Cheaper, zero maintenance.

Just a thought.
    Without a gutter on my Saltbox overhang, the rain dropped directly onto my bulkhead and basement windows.

Basement flooding is expensive.

My post assumes the overhang is sufficient to direct the water out of harms way, Some houses have very short, 6-12" overhangs. Others like mine have 3' overhangs.
    Regards,

Tom

My post assumes the overhang is sufficient to direct the water out of harms way, Some houses have very short, 6-12" overhangs. Others like mine have 3' overhangs.
    You don't have to worry about ice on your front steps and sidewalk making them unsafe.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Just did a search about gutters and found a wealth of knowledge on gutter toppers but nothing about gutter and downspout size.
    What do the knowledge banks here have to say about gutter and downspout sizing?
    You can ask Sir Google go guide you to a gutter sizing calculator. The one I used when building my shop took into consideration my location, roof size, roof pitch, and such.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    You don't have to worry about ice on your front steps and sidewalk making them unsafe.
    Some structures in some settings can function well without gutters. In the instance of doorways and walkways, deflectors can be used to re-direct the water to the side so there's no safety issue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Some structures in some settings can function well without gutters. In the instance of doorways and walkways, deflectors can be used to re-direct the water to the side so there's no safety issue.
    Yes, And an impluvium can be a big improvium.
    Saving money on water and roofing

Just a thought.
    Ummm,,,,how much do you think gutters cost? And with grass and weeds moving into the hardscape, maintenance might not be zero. And anyway, hardscape might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Ummm,,,,how much do you think gutters cost? And with grass and weeds moving into the hardscape, maintenance might not be zero. And anyway, hardscape might not be everyone's cup of tea.
    That is what I was thinking. Plain seamless gutters don't cost all that much. I don't think the cost difference between hardscaping with the pipe, trenching, dry well, and all would be much, if anything.

My house has 24" eaves. However, someone built a bay all the way to the edge of the eaves. I replaced the siding six years ago and I have mold growing in a spot on the siding on the bay. I really need gutters to help keep water off the bay. None of my other siding has mold on it.

Rocks don't stay weed free for long around where I live. Dirt washes into the rocks and weeds grow in the dirt. This happens even with landscape fabric as the dirt accumulates on top of the fabric. Roundup will kill the weeds, but then I have brown weeds instead of green weeds.

On the weed tangent, pre-emergent products that discourage or prevent germination have to be part of the maintenance plan. That will reduce the "brown weeds" from using weed killing treatments like RoundUp as well as environmentally safer mixtures made from vinegar, epsom salt and Dawn soap.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, there are various Gutter/Downspout Capacity Tables on Google.
    Total flow for gutters is influenced by gutter cross-sectional shape, volume, pitch and the cross-sectional area of the downspout.
    Typical capacity for 6" K style gutter w/ a 3x4 inch downspout is approx 95 GPM...with a 4x4 downspout capacity is 125 GPM.
    Another consideration is how far to place the gutter below the extended plane of the roof...most recommendations are to have the top of the gutter no closer than 1-2" below the roof plan (especially important in areas prone to have sliding snow or ice).

To understand your needs, look at historical rainfall peaks, apply to horizontal area of the roof feeding a particular section of guttering.
    Good luck.

Have a ranch also and just last year had the exterior redone with new roof, gutters, siding and stone front. Had 6" gutters with 4" downspouts and they work great. What I did different and really never seen it or just have not looked for it but had white gutters and grey leaders because the house body is grey and trim is white. The leaders blend in nicely and absolutely love the look. The thing about gutter guards I would never ever put them on because I have seen a few different brands used and seen the results when the gutters get full of ice. The icicles that form off those things are dangerous. Seen people actually have the gutters pulled down and interior of homes damaged. I live on the east coast in NJ.
    John T.

5” K style gutter with 2”x3” downspouts and leaf relief gutter guards would capture the water from your roof. Now if it was my house I’d go with the 6” K style gutter and a 3”x4” downspout, with the leaf relief gutter guard.