Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling a complete shop of tools?

Selling a complete shop of tools?

A relative recently died, leaving behind a complete shop's worth of stationary tools: saws, planers, shapers, sanders, dust collector, etc. It's mostly Grizzly, and probably around 30 years old, although unused for the last 15. Under the circumstances, I'd rather not sell it off piecemeal, but I'm wondering what the chances of success are of selling it as a collection. It's near Kansas City, which may well not be the center of the woodworking universe. Anyone have any experiences pro or con on this? If I have to sell the individual machines, are there specialized auctions that I should look at, or should I just consign it to a general auctioneer?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Flint Miller; 01-11-2021 at 3:10 PM.

I've gone to a few auctions of complete woodshops , hoping for a good buy . Not only did that not happen but stuff was going at 60 - 80 % of new retail prices . A Jet 16-32 drum sander I was looking at fetched $1000 , it's $1199 new . I think an auction would generate more than one large buyer might offer . Gotta find and pay the auctioneer , I don't know what their fee would be . If you can find somebody to take it all , thats a lot less trouble . Also , love your name , I was born in Flint Michigan .

It seems unlikely that you can sell everything as a package deal except to someone who intends to resell it. Someone who would buy it to use it is likely to already have the equipment.

If there is enough stuff, an auction feels like a good way to do it, but be sure to advertise it in the paper (or wherever people do that these days; the auctioneer probably knows).

It is a lot of work to sell these things piece by piece. You might find a school (high school, university, etc) that is interested (do schools have shops anymore? Mine did not) you you just want a write-off.

A local woodworking club might have some better knowledge on how to deal with that. I purchased some things from a professional woodworker who was selling some stuff off for a lady whose husband had died.

If someone does the work for you, they will be compensated in some way.

Just a few thoughts on possibilities.

A good auctioneer will be the best for you based on what you posted.
    Question is who that auctioneer is?
    Good luck
    Ron

Most of the shops/customers I have, have not had luck selling whole packages. Invariably, someone already has this, only needs that, etc. If I were you, I would sell piecemeal and just be prepared for that. Or, as Ron mentioned, go the auction or estate sale route. Sorry for your loss and good luck with it.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Like Erik saying, not that many people has a hunk of bills in their pocket. Most of us including myself started out one piece at time, the fun is in the hunt. I just don't think there are to many that will wake up and say " I want to be a woodworker" start looking for a package deal. Where I work at they would hire auction house to sell old stock that was no longer up to date and it was just such a pain to do. No longer do they use the auction houses to move stuff onward. To me its not that big of a pain to sell, it becomes a pain if someone is selling close to what new is. As they say " Price Sells"
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 01-11-2021 at 6:21 PM.

It completely boils down to money. From most return to less; 1)Hire a family member to take photos and be the contact for taking calls. 2)Have something like an estate sale. 3) Hire an auction company. They haul it all away and you get a check in return. Not sure if auction houses are open in your area because of Covid. 4)Take a bunch of pictures and list as all for one price sealed bids.

You would have to do an estate sale. That's the easiest way.

I've built my hobby shop one piece at a time, almost 100% used buy/sell/trade-up. Have read of great deals picked up at auctions, but those sound rarer than stories of seeing stuff sell higher than expected. In addition to wanting or needing a tool (or whatever), there are people who want to win. I've overpaid at online auctions for that very reason. Only been to a handful of live auctions, but the stuff i went for went for prices that left me shaking my head!! Properly advertised auction can probably NET as much as selling a piece at a time to buyers who are not in competition with other buyers. Just my thoughts--no scientific study on the competitive nature of auction bidders.
    Best wishes to the family.
    earl

Flint, feel free to PM me if you are interested in getting some info on auctioneers. I live in Topeka, KS and have been to quite a few tool auctions as well as estate sales. Some were very good and others not so much. My mother was an auctioneer and I grew up working these auctions so I've been around the block a few times and have learned what to look for in auctioneers

You've got a lot of options but ultimately what you decide to do will determine how much it costs. Depending on the amount of "stuff" will determine what anyone assisting charges. Most likely you are looking at 10-20% commission depending on what route you go.

Wes

Online auctions are the deal these days. Here in Minneapolistan there are online auctions for everything. I watch quite a few of them but seldom buy anything because they get too much for used items. People have a lot of time to stare at the computer these days. That's good for the seller, not so good for a buyer.

The advantage is that you don't need to move your stuff and you don't get a hundred bidders overtaking your property for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    You would have to do an estate sale. That's the easiest way.
    Wrong, IMO. auction is the easiest way - estate sales are were people are looking for deals, pennies on the dollar. And there’s no guarantee it’ll all sell ina weekend or two. An auction will clear it out in one day, after some organizing and prep work - by the auctioneer not the family.

One other note about auctions - don’t sell anything beforehand or take a few of the main machines. Folks like me who go to auctions want to see as much as possibly in the ad. If most of the machinery is sold already, it turns off buyers and not as many will show up. In my experience.

Thanks, everybody, for the thoughtful replies. They seem to confirm my main suspicion, that a one-fell-swoop sale would be a real long shot. Looks like my best bet will probably be to connect with an auction house, probably an online one to avoid a crowd of bidders and their entourage of viruses. If I get something going along that route, I'll mention it on SMC and maybe someone'll see that 36" planer (or whatever) they've always wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    Also , love your name , I was born in Flint Michigan .
    Thanks, JM. Your compliment led me to look up Flint the city to see if maybe we had an ancestor in common. Nah, Flint's named for the stone abundant in the area. I'm named for some flinty sea captain in 19th century Nova Scotia.
    Last edited by Flint Miller; 01-12-2021 at 9:13 AM.