Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Selling a complete shop of tools?

Every single estate sale I have gone to involving the sale of a serious DIY or profession WW has been attending by hordes of wealthy folks bidding not much less than new for floor tools. Hand tools usually go for pretty cheap. Now clamps, holy cow. I'm thinking of buying a couple hundred clamps, faking my death, then tripling my investment at the estate sale, because that's what I see clamps get bid to at these things. Granted, your typical estate sale bidder is looking for cheap stuff, but spend a Saturday morning in a barn bidding on a 20 year old rusty Grizzly with 50 other guys with 75,000$ pick-ups parked outside with a 50,000$ Harley enclosed tandem axle trailer on the back of every one of them (because they KNOW they're going to be the successful bidder). Wood worker estate sales tend to attract people for whom money is no barrier.

Blog Entries
    Flint,
    Contact the Kansas City Woodworkers Guild. I used to belong and they handled several estate sales of shop equipment. Like any estate sale contractor, the Guild will charge a flat percentage. They will remove the tools to their 10,000 square foot facility, their experts will price the tools and they will handle the sale days.

The guild is a 5013c non-profit.

Again, thanks to all for the useful suggestions and experiences. I expect we'll end up going with an online auction, but per the moderator's suggestion above, I'll just mention a couple of the items I found the most interesting: Performax Supermax 37x2 220v sander, Grizzly 20" planer, General International 75-050 mortiser. Will update.

Quote Originally Posted by Flint Miller View Post
    ...should I just consign it to a general auctioneer?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    If this shop is part of a larger estate it's unlikely the value approaches the real estate it occupies.

Unless there are historical rarities or collector's items in the shop, an on-site auction will be more expedient in clearing the building for eventual sale.

https://www.auctionskc.com/

Our woodworkers club (and our neighbor club) advertises several estate/auction type events a year. As suggested earlier, I would check with the local woodworkers club.

They also will list a classified on their local page, better quality machinery seems to go in a couple days around here. I know I would be eyeing the sander and planer...