Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling a complete shop of tools?

Auctions are great if you get a good auctioneer. If you get a jackleg auctioneer that's good for the buyers but not so much for the seller. I have been to both kinds, it pays to look around at the choices or get a local person's advice on which auctioneer to hire. Around here I know who I would suggest to get top dollar, but it's a pretty local business. With COVID I would think an online auction would be a good bet.

Thanks for the offer. I'm trying to figure out how to send a PM— apparently it doesn't work as stated in the FAQs. LFM

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    Auctions are great if you get a good auctioneer. If you get a jackleg auctioneer that's good for the buyers but not so much for the seller. I have been to both kinds, it pays to look around at the choices or get a local person's advice on which auctioneer to hire. Around here I know who I would suggest to get top dollar, but it's a pretty local business. With COVID I would think an online auction would be a good bet.
    I go to several auctions every day and never leave my desk. I miss live auctions but they are becoming a dinosaur. Auctioneers are being replaced by computer programs.

I know of one online auction house that has an auction every Monday night. It might be antiques one week, firearms the next, tools and equipment another night. etc. I would probably not go there if I had to spend a whole day and maybe get nothing. But if I can sit at my desk in the evening I will attend every auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Flint Miller View Post
    A relative recently died, leaving behind a complete shop's worth of stationary tools: saws, planers, shapers, sanders, dust collector, etc. It's mostly Grizzly, and probably around 30 years old, although unused for the last 15. Under the circumstances, I'd rather not sell it off piecemeal, but I'm wondering what the chances of success are of selling it as a collection. It's near Kansas City, which may well not be the center of the woodworking universe. Anyone have any experiences pro or con on this? If I have to sell the individual machines, are there specialized auctions that I should look at, or should I just consign it to a general auctioneer?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    If someone had a complete set of machines that cost around 6k because some were bought used I would bet the whole lot could be sold for 3000 to 3500. It’s worth trying. I have left items listed on CL for 3 to 8 months without dropping the price and someone popped up and bought it. You have to renew the ad every 30 to 45 days and within about two days or the pictures will be lost. Since those are older Grizzly, I would get on their parts site and see if common items like switches and plastic levers are available. If they are you have a good sales pitch to add.

Complete shop

Hello. I’m close to KC. In Lawrence.

Equip bid or purple wave may be auction options. Mayo is another I see a lot. I’ve bought from Equip bid and looked into selling. I didn’t think the selling worked out so well so I’ve sold stuff mostly on fb and Craigslist. Craigslist is a crap shoot.

I may be interested in purchasing several things but I want to take a look. I wouldn’t buy the whole shop out more than likely.

Where is it located and would you be willing to show me what’s there?

Thanks.

Have you considered spending 6 bucks to become a contributor.....then listing it on Sawmill Creeks classified section?

Lots of people, all of whom are tool-centric.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

A relative recently died, leaving behind a complete shop's worth of stationary tools: saws, planers, shapers, sanders, dust collector, etc. It's mostly Grizzly, and probably around 30 years old, although unused for the last 15. Under the circumstances, I'd rather not sell it off piecemeal, but I'm wondering what the chances of success are of selling it as a collection. It's near Kansas City, which may well not be the center of the woodworking universe. Anyone have any experiences pro or con on this? If I have to sell the individual machines, are there specialized auctions that I should look at, or should I just consign it to a general auctioneer?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    What is your ultimate goal? Who will the proceeds go to? The best solution depends on what constitutes success on your part.

If the goal is to quickly liquidate the equipment to empty the property and ready it for sale, a well publicised auction will probably work. In that case price paid will probably not be top dollar and money will go in a number of pockets besides yours. While end users will be there to bid, so will resellers.

If the goal is to sell at maximum profit with the proceeds going to a grieving widow for living expenses, sell it off piecemeal to end users. This will take time. If the deceased was a serious woodworker perhaps he had a social circle that could help network.

If you have lots of time, try Craigslist and the classified sections of woodworking forums like Sawmill Creek.

Whatever course you choose, be realistic about your selling prices. Folks aren't likely to snatch up 30 year old machinery priced 10% under new.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks for the offer. I'm trying to figure out how to send a PM— apparently it doesn't work as stated in the FAQs. LFM
    You have to be a contributor to use the pm feature
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Hussey View Post
    You have to be a contributor to use the pm feature
    Thanks for the tip. It might have taken me weeks to figure that out on my own.

PMs, photo viewing and the classifieds require Contributor status...just click on "Donate" up at the top of the page. It's $6 per year to be a Contributor.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Flint, I think KC is actually the center of the woodworking universe, or maybe just mine. You've been given all the good answers. Is it just the woodworking stuff you want to sell, or is there a household of stuff as well? If its just the tools and supplies, consider making a list and and posting it here in the classified section of the forum. There are a lot of folks from KC here, and it will save you from the gawkers and bargain hunters.

I go to a lot of estate sales and auctions, especially if they note woodworking tools & supplies. But I won't go unless the ad mentions more specifically what they have. Some people seem to think a box of old cheap chisels and a rusty circular saw qualifies as "woodworking tools". Sometimes you can tell when the good stuff has been cherry-picked before the sale. I think auctions get better prices and quicker, but its a lot more hassle. And some estate sale companies price things high so they can make a very low bid for all the remaining stuff at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    PMs, photo viewing and the classifieds require Contributor status...just click on "Donate" up at the top of the page. It's $6 per year to be a Contributor. Jim, Forum Moderator
    Small price to pay. I'll do that. Then I'd like to come back to this thread with a list of what I've got. I'm not in a position to offer the stuff for sale at this moment (depends on decision of co-executors) but I want to let the forum see what I'm talking about.

Small price to pay. I'll do that. Then I'd like to come back to this thread with a list of what I've got. I'm not in a position to offer the stuff for sale at this moment (depends on decision of co-executors) but I want to let the forum see what I'm talking about.
    This thread wouldn't be the correct place to "list" any kind of available equipment. The Classifieds is, but all items must have prices and you need to be the owner who is selling per the rules. What you can do, however, is mention a few things here for grins and giggles to keep the boys and girls entertained.

Another suggestion...consider taking up woodworking since you have a great opportunity to acquire some nice stuff to work with.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've participated in a few online-only auctions in my area recently, and in most cases, even the junk went for prices that had me shaking my head and saying "what were they thinking?" I'm cheap and I didn't get much - a few clamps and a decent vise which was still too much money. These were full woodworking shops, everything from the big equipment down to workbenches, hand tools, lumber and hardware. The auctioneer takes care of everything and the buyer's premium tends to be around 18% lately. Plus sales tax. This would definitely be the best way to dispose of that stuff. There seems to be a lot of people spending their "stimulus checks" for DIY stuff and home improvement and this is a side effect.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Endres View Post
    I've participated in a few online-only auctions in my area recently, and in most cases, even the junk went for prices that had me shaking my head and saying "what were they thinking?" I'm cheap and I didn't get much - a few clamps and a decent vise which was still too much money. These were full woodworking shops, everything from the big equipment down to workbenches, hand tools, lumber and hardware. The auctioneer takes care of everything and the buyer's premium tends to be around 18% lately. Plus sales tax. This would definitely be the best way to dispose of that stuff. There seems to be a lot of people spending their "stimulus checks" for DIY stuff and home improvement and this is a side effect.
    I am watching a few of them near me right now. I've seen a lot of these tools sell for 80% of new price. Ridiculous!!!!!

I have told the wife that if I tip over someday to sell all my stuff this way. She will make a fortune.

I think these auctions have become the latest addiction in the country. We have Alcoholics Anonymous, Gamblers anonymous and soon there will be internet buying anonymous. So many people sit on Amazon and buy stuff they don't need with money they don't have.