Thread: Outside stair railngs

Outside stair railngs

Have a couple stair railings that have come loose and wobble. Need to repair. What is the best method to do this?? If using cement or epoxy what is the best on the market?? Will this fix permanetly?? Thanks

My brothers house so no photos. What it is is that the wrought iron railings on the outside steps has broken loose in the holes they drilled in the steps. Whatever cement they used to secure them has broken and loosened up and now they wobble. I assume I will have to drill the loose stuff out and fill again with something to secure
    Last edited by John Terefenko; 01-11-2021 at 2:42 PM.
    John T.

What are stairs made of wood, concrete, iron, stone, brick?
    Bill D

Railings are wrought iron. Holes drill in steps and concrete poured in hole. Hydrolic cement or anchoring cement I am guessing was used. Do I clean out and do the same or is there a better answer??
    Last edited by John Terefenko; 01-11-2021 at 9:40 PM.
    John T.

Blog Entries
    Years ago they used to mount railings like that by pouring lead into the holes around the iron. I don't know if it's still done that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Years ago they used to mount railings like that by pouring lead into the holes around the iron. I don't know if it's still done that way.
    Oh yeah ,some still do that, but it's usually the self employed. Bosses paying for insurance don't want the uncareful
    making hot lead fly. They can do that on their own time!

Molten sulpher was also used. I would say today it is hydraulic cement or epoxy.
    Bil lD.

Actually, you're not far off--they still make lead inserts which one places into a reasonably sized hole and places a sheet metal screw into the object to be attached and thence into the lead insert. The lead expands and holds the object in place. Like plastic inserts for drywall. I would also provide some lateral support for the handrail stiles going somewhere, if no place else, then angled into the ground.
    Regards,

Tom