I built a router table (Router Magic version) two years ago. The table was of laminated plywood with the high centers turned in then edged with oak, then plastic laminate covered. It was not perfectly flat at the time of building but it has gotten worse. The middle area where the router hangs that is unsupported is about 16" square give or take a couple of inches. There is no router plate as the router is permanently mounted (screwed) to the table. The whole thing has sagged some. A good portion of the sag is in the unsupported area as would be expected. The maximum sag is about .035" which might not sound like a lot but see what it does to coping and sticking cuts!

I discovered the problem "anew" when I finished a sled to groove and dado panels. On a 6" width I have to really apply pressure to stay within ten or twenty thou from one side to the other. It is worse on a wider piece. On shelf dados this is no serious thing, but I need to cut some sliding dovetails over about a 10" distance and that will be a problem.

I NEED to flatten this table! Some say that this is the reason for cast iron. Others say go to steel like Lee Valley, but their table has a .030" reverse crown and would complicate things the other way. I bought a piece of angle iron, but the worst (lowest) place is right in front of the router which would mean partially blocking access to change bits. It would be hard to reinforce and raise that area, if possible, without making bit changes difficult.

I've thought of shimming the cabinet dividers to force the table up in these areas, if that would work. But it would still leave the unsupported area in the middle... unsuported. And how long would it take for the table to sag back to the shims?

Should I try sanding the laminate down on top and see what's left? Should I strip the laminate, which might be tough, plane/sand and relaminate? Does anyone have a "great idea" or been through this before?

I'm at a loss on how to proceed. Any ideas are appreciated. I am to the point that I don't mind spending a few dollars if I can get a table large and flat enough.

David