Thread: Thoughts on Delta 43-792 7.5hp shaper

Thoughts on Delta 43-792 7.5hp shaper

I'm going to look at the above mentioned shaper tomorrow as someone locally is selling it and just wondering what peoples thoughts are on these shapers versus the more common industrial versions from SCM, Felder, and the likes.

0000863183.jpg

I know spare parts will be difficult to find but I'm not looking for something to run 12 hrs/day and if it's functional it may last me the rest of my life and then let the next owner struggle with finding parts.

If you guys think it'd be worth a look, anything in particular I should check out or make sure isn't missing? The current owner doesn't have 3-phase so I can't check anything under power.

Thanks in advance,
    Wes

Read here. I could tell it was not made in USA by the looks.
    Bill D.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....2-Any-thoughts.

Bill, thanks for the link. I read that thread but didn't really see any first hand comments specific to the Delta. Most were about other similar size/quality models.

I'm not sure where this one was made as it appears quite different than the one's Invicta was making for Delta out of Brazil. Those all seem to have the height adjustment on the front.

That machine was sold by several resellers and built in Taiwan. they were solid and design wise about the same as an SCM T130. The cast iron sliding table isn't as friendly as an aluminum extrusion type used by Felder but the machine is heavier than a 700 series. Check for runout at top of the spindle with a dial indicator and put a straight edge across the table to check for flat and any dip near the spindle. Condition is everything but I would doubt it should be priced above 4K if nice. Dave

511,512 series made in Taiwan sold under 5-6names. Currently they are still being marketed by Cantek and Rulong. Like Dave says good machines.

Mike, thanks for the info. A quick look at the Cantek website shows the internals look identical. Now I'm wondering if spare parts might be easier to find than I initially thought. The fence looks very similar as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups View Post
    Mike, thanks for the info. A quick look at the Cantek website shows the internals look identical. Now I'm wondering if spare parts might be easier to find than I initially thought. The fence looks very similar as well.
    I have one of the bridgewood 511s (identical to the 43-792 and 43-791, Powermatic 29, laguna something, axminister, cantek and a bunch more I've forgotten)

I think David is thinking of the delta invictas being comparable to the t130. The 511 is a double 6008 bearing with a 4" quill. Its closer to/smaller than a t110 at 830lbs
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 01-11-2021 at 5:22 PM.

Jared, you are correct, I was thinking the build on the 511,512 was a little heavier. The T130 runs a single 6011 on the top bearing which is lighter than they used to be too. Is the double 6008 on top or top and bottom? Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Jared, you are correct, I was thinking the build on the 511,512 was a little heavier. The T130 runs a single 6011 on the top bearing which is lighter than they used to be too. Is the double 6008 on top or top and bottom? Dave
    Double 6008 on top, 6206 on the bottom.

The 512s are 200lbs heavier at 1030lbs.

I'm surprised the T130s are a 6011, for some reason i assumed they would be bigger. What were they before?

I think the older class series T130 ran double bearings. A double 6008 will have a little better load rating than a single 6011. A shielded bearing in a shaper is problematic in that precision shielded are pretty unusual and expensive so manufacturers substitute lighter duty, higher speed, lower load bearings and get away with it because no one complains. Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups View Post
    I'm going to look at the above mentioned shaper tomorrow as someone locally is selling it and just wondering what peoples thoughts are on these shapers versus the more common industrial versions from SCM, Felder, and the likes.

0000863183.jpg

I know spare parts will be difficult to find but I'm not looking for something to run 12 hrs/day and if it's functional it may last me the rest of my life and then let the next owner struggle with finding parts.

If you guys think it'd be worth a look, anything in particular I should check out or make sure isn't missing? The current owner doesn't have 3-phase so I can't check anything under power.

Thanks in advance,
    Wes
    I realized I never answered the question directly.

They are decent shapers. If priced reasonably there is no down side. That said since its not under power, my offer would be different than if I saw it run. Being told it ran when parked leaves room for doubt.

I would expect it to be priced closer to 2 to 2.5k (at least if it were in my area) we seem to have a excess of 511s though.

Much north of that I would be looking for an Italian machine.

Not sure if I should put this in a different thread but thought I'll post here first. I've looked at the shaper and it appears to be in very good shape. I could not detect any issues with the bearings and the guy that did maintenance on all the tools from this shop said it just got a new motor 2 years ago.

My question is powering this thing from single phase. I've done quite a bit of research on my options and most posts tend to degrade into arguments over static/rotary phase converters and the cost of a VFD for every machine. I'm hoping to get some answers specific to the above mentioned 7.5 hp shaper. My thoughts were to go with a VFD since this would be the only 3-phase piece of equipment in my shop and I could use the VFD to control speed versus changing belts. After doing some research I'm finding the options for a single to three phase VFD capable of handling >22 amps are limited.

I'd like to hear any pro's and con's to a VFD when you consider it's going on a shaper. I'd like to keep the reversing switch operational on the actual shaper but don't think that'd be possible with a VFD.

The other question is braking. I know this can be done with a VFD but I was wondering if shapers of this size and vintage already have that built into the electronics.

Lastly, I would love to hear recommendations for suppliers of VFD's that people have experience with using in their shops. I'd prefer to buy something were I can talk to their customer service to make sure I get what I need and then have support should I have questions about programming.

Thanks,
    Wes

Blog Entries
    Expect to pay $600 or so for a decent vfd capable of running at 21-22 amps off single phase.

The following fuji will do it
    FRN0047C2S-2U, but the 60 will future proof any upgrades and provide 27a for $50 more.

https://www.wolfautomation.com/ac-dr...3-phase-33386/

I'm running the next larger fuji on my 9hp shaper, and a smaller fuji on a 5.5hp shaper.

That model shaper doesn't have a brake. The vfd will do it, but will need an additional braking resistor added.