Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

11 Jan 2021

Greetings,
    Well, I made some really good progress on the dining table benches and all the shaping and sanding work is done, the color and clear-coat is on the bench seats and I have the primer and paint for the bench support structures. Priming and painting will be completed this week. Spent some time this past week studying music theory, scales, modes and etc that are directly related to my bass guitar playing. I'm trying to be a better bass player and this is what I'm lacking in my knowledge/skillset. I'm finding that things like this are harder to learn at 61 than they would have been at "16".

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, 'glad you got shop time and bass guitar time. I hope you're getting very comfortable with that nice five string.

This past week I took care of a lot of little tasks in and around the house and started on a refurbishment of our pantry to bring it up to the same level and color scheme as the kitchen moved to. The pantry cabinetry was still in the "2003 green" and is being refreshed to the "steel wool grey" that the kitchen uppers went to a few years ago. I'm also rearranging the other storage a bit to be more efficient and get rid of stuff that just hasn't been used in eons. Decluttering, as it were, as it's likely that we'll be "downsizing" in the next year or two. I'm also helping a fellow guitar maker on another forum refine his headstock logo in Vectric's software as he wants to try carving it for inlay as an alternative to decals. His decal supplier refuses to indicate the font that was used, so I'm cleaning up a trace of the bitmap for him...he doesn't have much node-editing experience and I'm comfortable with that.

This week I'll be finishing up the pantry project and hopefully starting on a few small projects. that need either completed or started, as the case may be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim-I have a pantry that could stand some of the decluttering. Would you please add t to your "to-do" list?

I'm back to working on our son's remodeling project after a break for the holidays. This weekend we removed a window from the previous bathroom area that will be the new staircase to the basement, repaired framing from the overzealous plumbing, replaced the subfloor in that area and framed a doorway to access the new stairway. This is all immediately adjacent to the living room which is the real focus of this phase. When we get farther along, I'll be building a full wall of cabinets to form a built in entertainment center.

Shop time will be starting back up this week with the arrival of the A3-31 this today. I'm really missing the time in my shop and am looking for to getting back in there.

Got all the joinery done for my desk carcasses, total of about 320 mortises (domino) plus panel grooves. I'll finish dry fitting both desks up today after I make a bunch more slightly undersized "dry-fit" dominos. Then I will double check measurements for the panels, take everything back apart and start sanding (oh joy). While I'm sanding and pre-finishing carcass parts, I'll also work on the drawers. All the stock for them is jointed and planed oversize already, so just need to go on from there. And of course I have to cut the panels to size, but they are just all 1/4 cherry ply so that goes quickly. I'll share pics of the jig I made to help accurately mortise the legs and rails in another thread, but it worked like a charm and really sped up the process.

I also have made 3 or 4 test boards using various combinations of Target Coating products and EnduroVar plus a few Transtint dyes. I'm searching for a finishing schedule that uses all water borne products, eliminating my usual step of applying a coat or two of garnet shellac. Not quite there yet, but getting close, and I'm confident I will find a formula I like. I'm just trying to avoid having to schlep everything up to the garage for the shellac step, and then back to the shop. Don't mind it in the summer, but in the winter it's a pain and even with heat on in the garage there are temp and humidity variations to worry about. Plus it will save time.

Lisa, glad to hear your A3-31 is finally arriving. Enjoy!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Just finished up today. 95% of it was done last week. Just some minor tweaks yesterday and pulls/handle mounting today.

The right drawers were old drawers from my long miter bench that got pulled out to do something else with. So I repurposed the carcasses, cutting 2 down and putting new fronts on them. The innards on the left side were all new. One thing I learned is to do the door faces once in it's final location, after casters are on. It settled a little and things were off. So had to clean those up a bit. Birch carcass, baltic birch fronts and drawers. Now I just need to move the table saw wall outlet.

Now to figure out what to do with all that storage.

tsstorage1.jpgtsstorage2.jpgtsstorage3.jpgtsstorage4.jpg
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!