Thread: Trying dust collector on SCMS

Trying dust collector on SCMS

Thought I'd frame this out and cover in thin plywood and see how it does. Anyone done anything similar?

IMG_5954.jpg

IMG_5955.jpg

Very popular way to go . Most have the dust shroud on the bottom of the "box" . Search Jay Bates .

I have a big box around my SCMS with removeable faces on it.............like Jay Bates. It has a 6" port in the bottom with plywood angles down to it. It does a pretty decent job. You can feel the air being drawn in. It doesn't do well at the far outer reach of the saw, but I don't think most saws would be that good that far out either. I've debated adding a hose to the saws dust port and splitting off from the 6" run to see it that would help. I did try using a spare piece of hose, connecting it to the saws dust port and then just stuffing it down the 6" hole, but the ridges on the hose just caused issues.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

That's about the best and only way to collect at least some reasonable percentage of the stuff from a miter saw. One implementation also had removable/changeable panels at the front for when the saw was at 90º (which is most of the time for many folks) to further improve the performance in the hood. This is also one of those applications where a 6" port on that hood is going to offer the best performance because dust collection is about air flow and smaller ports can't move as much air.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    My SCMS sits on a slide out base in a shelf cubby that is closed in on the sides. There's an 8" duct running into the top of the enclosure. Dust collection is excellent. Some dust does accumulate in the cubby, but almost none escapes it.

If your saw as a port that gets a lot of the dust, even without dust extraction turned on, then I think it's important to connect to that, even at the expense of some of the air to the hood. Best to get the dust as close to generation as possible is my theory. But without a good bit of air to the hood it will not be very effective.

I mess up a lot on names but there is a youtuber with a name like Frank Horwouth that uses a fench with holes in it for dust collection on his radial arm saws. Interesting idea but I haven't tried it.

But mostly the ideas seem to be to trap the dust mechanically in the area of the dust port to increase the chance it gets it.

I'm going to start with that 4" big gulp and see how it does, and then maybe switch it to a 5" or 6" port. I've been using my shop vac attached to the rear port and it gets a lot of it but trying to get more of the small stuff.

Slapped some 1/8" ply on it. It works a little better than just having the shop-vac attached to the rear port. I need to caulk all the seams increase the hose to a 5" and just drop the big gulp.

IMG_5959.jpg

IMG_5960.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    Slapped some 1/8" ply on it. It works a little better than just having the shop-vac attached to the rear port. I need to caulk all the seams increase the hose to a 5" and just drop the big gulp.

IMG_5959.jpg

IMG_5960.jpg
    Remove the sheets facing the user and see if that helps.

Rousseau offers a commercial solution to this problem, and that’s how they do it.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 01-12-2021 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Remove the sheets facing the user and see if that helps.

Rousseau offers a commercial solution to this problem, and that’s how they do it.
    Interesting, I'd rather have those off and if it works better that's a bonus. Makes me think that it would be even better on a slider with the rails in the front so the hose can be closer to the cut.

Maybe I'll put the 5" hose on the bottom closer in.