Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for White Paint Recommendations for Spraying Cabinets and Wainscoting

Looking for White Paint Recommendations for Spraying Cabinets and Wainscoting

Hey everyone I'm building my first set of kitchen cabinets and I'm also doing a lot of other work around the new house like wainscoting, door trim, window trim, bookshelves, etc. They're all white. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good brand of paint. I have a Graco X5 airless sprayer with fine finish tip. Is there one paint I could use for all of these jobs? It would save me a ton of time if I can just lay everything out in one day and spray it all over the course of the day or 2 days if necessary.

I've heard good things about sherwin williams and general finishes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I really really like the Zinsser primers at my house. You would be looking at one coat of primer and one or two coats of finish pigment.

The B I N primer is alcohol based, you will want the organic solvent filter on your respirator or end up drunk as a sailor, don't ask how I know.

At my house I struggle to maintain 8-9% RH in heating season, it is +71 dF and 12%RH in my downstairs office just now and I don't currently have a climate sensor upstairs with the wood stove. Probably about +80dF up there with an RH around 7-9%. Routinely see 70-80% RH in the warm months here.

Using clear pine or hemlock I find one coat of Zinsser primer (either product) with pigment coats for good color coverage, usually two coats, I don't have any trouble with warping and etcetera when the humidity changes. Don't forget to prime your endgrain when you trim to final length.

FWIW I don't care what pigment or mfr LOML picks as long as I have a good coat of Zinsser on all six surfaces of the bare board.

I just did a vanity for a friend and used the Target EM6500WP pigmented lacquer supplemented with their crosslinker. It sprayed very easily and left a beautiful surface. It can be tinted to any BM or SWP color. With the crosslinker it is supposed to be pretty tough.

I primed with their HSF5000 primer/filler, which also sprayed easily and sanded nicely to give a perfectly flat surface.

If you decide to buy for them sign up for the email list, there is almost always a sale code in the promotions for 20-30% off.

This is the BEST I've found Pro Classic

• Homeowners \
    • Paints & Supplies\
    • ProClassic Alkyd Interior Enamel and if you hurry 30% or more off. Look at the at the other coupons below. Ed

Product Details

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on PinterestShare on HouzzShare this with your friendsShare with emailPrint page

ProClassic Alkyd Interior Enamel

Achieve a smooth and luxurious finish on interior doors and trim with ProClassic® Alkyd Interior. It delivers a high-performing finish that withstands even the toughest wear and tear. This formula goes on smooth without brush or roller marks.

Color

Color Name or Number:

Add a Color

Options

Container Size: 1 Quart 1 Gallon 5 Gallon 1 Gallon
    Tooltip, select to read tip
    Sheen: Satin Semi-Gloss Satin

Base: Extra White Deep Base Extra White
    Change Base
    Your options may be adjusted based on color selection.

Price

List Price: $77.99

Price with Coupon: $54.59

Save 30%
    Get Coupon

Sign In to order online
    Sales Number: 6405-10202
    Product Number: B33W00221

All prices displayed are for U.S. Sherwin-Williams locations and are in U.S. Dollars. Prices do not include taxes or other fees as applicable.

[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0)]Paint Calculator[/COLOR]
    Save

[/COLOR]

I've been pretty much "standard" on ProClassic for trim work as well as for cabinetry that needs to be finished in-place. It does spray well IF you have an appropriate gun for higher viscosity finishes. In the shop, I tend to use the same Target Coatings product already mentioned....EM6500...but have also sprayed the ProClassic. My understanding is that SW's new Emerald enamel product sprays well, too, but I have not tried it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

ProClassic should spray great with your airless rig. I really like Emerald Urethane Trim paint but it's an oil modified product, like BM's Advance, so whites are likely to yellow over time. That won't be an issue with ProClassic or the TC product.

John

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'll look into these options and keep you posted on what I choose. For the cabinets I need to edge band the exposed plywood fronts. Any recommendations? I almost bought some at Rockler, but figured I'd ask to see if anyone has any experience with them. Some will be painted white and the ones on the island will be more of a blue. Thanks!

Maple or birch iron on veneer tape will work well for the plywood edges. Both take paint well.

John

I've now sprayed both those SW products, PC, and Urethane trim, with airless. Both spray wonderfully. ProClassic will look more like a whitle factory finish, whereas the UT looks a little bit more like an old oil based trim paint. Notice I said a "little bit". That was just the best comparison that I could come up with.

With the FFLP tips, do yourself a favor, and buy a gauge for the pump to line connection. Graco, and Titan stuff use the same threads. I'm using a Titan gauge on my old Graco pump. Put the pressure in the green zone to start with, and it's probably right on. Otherwise, the pressure is so much less than regular tips that you'll end up shooting a lot of paint testing before you ever get the pressure set low enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I've now sprayed both those SW products, PC, and Urethane trim, with airless. Both spray wonderfully. ProClassic will look more like a whitle factory finish, whereas the UT looks a little bit more like an old oil based trim paint. Notice I said a "little bit". That was just the best comparison that I could come up with.

With the FFLP tips, do yourself a favor, and buy a gauge for the pump to line connection. Graco, and Titan stuff use the same threads. I'm using a Titan gauge on my old Graco pump. Put the pressure in the green zone to start with, and it's probably right on. Otherwise, the pressure is so much less than regular tips that you'll end up shooting a lot of paint testing before you ever get the pressure set low enough.
    Great, is this the one you would recommend?
    https://www.amazon.com/Titan-0580495...ustomerReviews

That's the exact gauge I use. For my airless rig, I keep it in a low sided plastic container that came out of the Home Depot storage aisle. I keep pump oil, Pump Saver, different tips, and an old sheet in it. The tips are in a clean plastic jar. So everything I need is there, ready to go at short notice. The low, long side allows me to leave everything in the box, and just swing the pickup out to go into the container of paint.

The old sheet wraps up the pump, including the gauge when I'm spraying something. The pump is close to 30 years old. It used to be blue. Since that color change, I now keep it all wrapped up to keep any spray off of it. That's important for being able to see the gauge long term.

edited to add: I think this is the container. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-St...2387/300170479 Put a piece of plywood in the bottom of it. One of my guys broke a hole in the bottom of the first one, with a leg of the pump, by sitting it down too hard.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-13-2021 at 7:48 PM.

I have the X5 with a fine finish tip and sprayed all new doors and trim with Proclassic semigloss. A professional painter was in the house and commented on how great it all looked. This was done in the driveway and then installed. Filled the holes with white Timbermate. Wouldn’t change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    That's the exact gauge I use. For my airless rig, I keep it in a low sided plastic container that came out of the Home Depot storage aisle. I keep pump oil, Pump Saver, different tips, and an old sheet in it. The tips are in a clean plastic jar. So everything I need is there, ready to go at short notice. The low, long side allows me to leave everything in the box, and just swing the pickup out to go into the container of paint.

The old sheet wraps up the pump, including the gauge when I'm spraying something. The pump is close to 30 years old. It used to be blue. Since that color change, I now keep it all wrapped up to keep any spray off of it. That's important for being able to see the gauge long term.

edited to add: I think this is the container. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-St...2387/300170479 Put a piece of plywood in the bottom of it. One of my guys broke a hole in the bottom of the first one, with a leg of the pump, by sitting it down too hard.
    Awesome, just bought it today and I'll check out that storage bin as well. Thanks for all the help!

I left out the oval plastic little trashcan, just because it fits in the box with everything else, to be used to hold soapy water for running through at cleanup, and whatever tip extensions will fit in there. That way, I'm ready to go to work with it, and the only thing that's not in there are the long tip extensions.

putting down SW proclassic on our trim today, also have done cabinets. it's great. i usually roll and tip.