Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED light conversions

When I remodeled my shop this past summer, I looked at converting my existing fluorescent fixtures to LED. I ended up going with these, instead: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Rather than hanging them from chains, as was the case with the existing fixtures, I simply clipped them directly to the ceiling. They weigh next to nothing, are easy to install, can be daisy-chained together, and produce a nice, uniform, bright, light.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    When I remodeled my shop this past summer, I looked at converting my existing fluorescent fixtures to LED. I ended up going with these, instead: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Rather than hanging them from chains, as was the case with the existing fixtures, I simply clipped them directly to the ceiling. They weigh next to nothing, are easy to install, can be daisy-chained together, and produce a nice, uniform, bright, light.
    Similar, I covered my garage with ten of these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PRBZ4QG though I note the price on them has gone up a lot (almost doubled) since I purchased them in February last year. The rest of my basement has tube replacements; I pulled out the ballasts years ago (2013 Amazon informs me!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post

"I don't know of a good reason to keep an old ballast, or replace with new ones. There may be, but I don't know what that would be."
    Hi Tom, where I live you cannot remove the ballast from the fixture as it was approved with the overload protection of the ballast. removing the ballast negates the electrical approval on the fixture.

I just converted the last of my T12 fixtures to LED by installing a T8 ballast and LED lamps, just waiting for inspection someday as Covid-19 has really affected schedules..........Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-11-2021 at 7:37 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Honestly, it will be interesting to see if the "tube" format even continues long-term with LED fixtures.
    there will always be a need for linear light fixtures. Some of the new LED linear fixtures have a lens that roughly simulates fluorescent tubes.

[QUOTE=Rod Sheridan;3087718]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post

"I don't know of a good reason to keep an old ballast, or replace with new ones. There may be, but I don't know what that would be."

Hi Tom, where I live you cannot remove the ballast from the fixture as it was approved with the overload protection of the ballast. removing the ballast negates the electrical approval on the fixture.

I just converted the last of my T12 fixtures to LED by installing a T8 ballast and LED lamps, just waiting for inspection someday as Covid-19 has really affected schedules..........Regards, Rod.
    If you are using the tubes that don't use the ballast anyway, I expect the electrical approval would be different anyway. I just get it out of the way. I've never had an inspector to look inside a fixture here. Maybe it's different up there. It's just not something that I would worry about here.

I replaced the ballast, tombstones, and lamps in fixtures before too, but that was before they came out with the tubes that don't use the ballast.

For what its' worth: I stick with name brands that I've heard before, like Phillips. They may cost some more, but I'd rather bet on longevity, than try to save a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    there will always be a need for linear light fixtures. Some of the new LED linear fixtures have a lens that roughly simulates fluorescent tubes.
    That's true in the present time/ Long term...it will be interesting to see what really evolves. LED lighting and whatever comes from that offers so much opportunity to do things that were just not possible or practical with bulbs and tubes. But that's down the road for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    When I remodeled my shop this past summer, I looked at converting my existing fluorescent fixtures to LED.
    On the "me too" train, I screwed 24 of these, in four lines of six, to the truss bottoms in my 600 s.f. space. With 120,000 lumens, it's unholy bright in there now.

https://smile.amazon.com/Barrina-500...s%2C223&sr=8-7
    --Jack S. Llewyllson

Gratitude is a gift to yourself.

Purity tests are the bane of human existence.

Codeine takes the pain from every muscle but the heart.

I rewired a couple (two) fixtures in my shop, but the next time 4' LEDs were on sale I Costco I tossed the rewired fixtures in the bin. Rewiring was a major step up from flourescent to almost LED, but it wasn't the same as the new fixtures I installed.

My "shop" is only ~600 sqft. If you have a lot of area rewiring existing fixtures and using some spot/task lighting to save money in the short term can easily make sense. I do not miss the electric bills that went with my go to incandescent bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

That's kind of bizarre, Rod. Buying a ballast to power a power converter within the LED tube which "fakes" the ballast into thinking its really driving a fluorescent tube? Pretty circuitous. From a risk perspective, I'd be inclined to think that an unnecessary ballast is more dangerous (ie - likely to fail and cause a fire) than the wires and tombstones that would otherwise be the "entirety" of the fixture. That would be my motivation to direct-wire - get rid of an unnecessary and complicated piece of power electronics (the ballast) that will eventually fail...

My two cents worth-Recently replaced a 4' fluorescent shop light w/ an LED fixture that cost $37.00+-
    at Lowe's. So far I could not be happier with it. Light seems brighter and "cleaner". No more "is it the bulb
    or the ballast?" Also no more strobe light. I am daring the other fluorescent fixture in the front of the shop
    to start acting up.

[QUOTE=Tom M King;3087826]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    For what its' worth: I stick with name brands that I've heard before, like Phillips. They may cost some more, but I'd rather bet on longevity, than try to save a few bucks.
    I totally agree, but, at least with screw in bulbs (E26), Phillips are far lower CRI and just look worse to my eye (and several friends eyes) than Cree produced bulbs. I learned a few years ago that HD is where you buy LED bulbs, not Lowes. Both their Ecosmart home brand, and the Cree bulbs are made by Cree, and are just much better quality.

I don't think either sells T8 replacement tubes made by Cree, so for this project, not an option, but advice for the rest of the house.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

anyone else having radio inference from led?

replaced/added led lights to basement shop and radio went from about 1/2 fm stations to none
    Settled on echo dot from Amazon for music and changed a incandescent 100 watt lamp to a LED that Alexa controls,
    Now stand in the door way and say Alexa light on and then go looking for what I need or turn the lights on by double door that has drill press and wood partial blocking switches.
    Ron

For the cost of the replacement bulbs, plugging them into old fixtures, I changed out the fixtures with Sunco LED shop light fixtures. When buying them off amazon, they are as low as about $17 a fixture depending on the quantity. For less than $200 I can see again...

I got the direct replacement LED bulbs and they only worked in 2 of my 4 ceiling fixtures. After turning on the lights, nothing would happen for 1 second, then the lights would flicker briefly and then go dark. Tried a different model bulb and got the same result so I put the CFL back in and it works fine. These fixtures are 15 years old and use electronic ballast, no idea why the LEDs behaved like that

Chris, did you try flipping the LED "tubes" end for end when they failed to start?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...