Thread: Grizzly G0771Z and ShopFox W1837 the same saw?

Grizzly G0771Z and ShopFox W1837 the same saw?

Hi,

Comparing both of these saws, identical specs, cabinets and feature designs look the same (except for the obvious difference, closed+stationary versus open+wheeled). Are they the same saw?

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...d-fence/g0771z

https://www.grizzly.com/products/sho...able-saw/w1837

Both 120v/2hp. Both are said to be cabinet mounted, instead of table underside. Same motor? Same fence. Even the motor housing looks identical.

I'm having no trouble finding reviews of the 771Z (back when it was $800! argh), but can't turn up much on the 1837 apart from 2 reviews.

Thanks!

Looks to me like the Grizzly trunions mount to the saw cabinet like the Unisaw did, and the Shop Fox bolts to the table like contractors saws do. Grizzly is available up to 7.5hp
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 01-10-2021 at 5:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Looks to me like the Grizzly trunions mount to the saw cabinet like the Unisaw did, and the Shop Fox bolts to the table like contractors saws do. Grizzly is available up to 7.5hp
    I thought the same, and the pics seem to point to that, but the text...

The W1837 10" 2 HP Open Stand Hybrid Table Saw features cabinet-mounted trunnions

I believe the major difference is the enclosed vs. open cabinet

It used to be that Shop Fox was sold via retailers and Grizzly was direct order only from Grizzly. Some said Shop Fox had a little higher level of fit and finish, I don't know if that's true or not. They do appear to be the same basic machine.

Blog Entries
    Both are Grizzly 'products'. Subtle differences in configuration and features as well as where you buy them and warranty are different.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    It used to be that Shop Fox was sold via retailers and Grizzly was direct order only from Grizzly. Some said Shop Fox had a little higher level of fit and finish, I don't know if that's true or not. They do appear to be the same basic machine.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Both are Grizzly 'products'. Subtle differences in configuration and features as well as where you buy them and warranty are different.
    Alright, thanks fellas. I put the same questions to Grizzly support via email and we'll see what they say. My main interests/concerns are finding out if there's any difference in where/how the trunnions/motor are mounted, and any differences in the fence.

This may or may not be relevant, but here goes anyway. I have several grizzly machines, all of which are solid performing machines for the price. I bought a Shop Fox 12" jointer 5 years ago because the Griz model i wanted was out of stock and I just figured they were basically the same machine anyway. Let me tell you the SF jointer is a total piece of junk. Machining tolerances are ridiculously loose, tables are not totally flat, had to shim the journal shaft because the drive pulley was a loose fit! Vibrates the whole damn floor. If not for the fact that it's in a 2nd floor shop and weighs 1000 lbs it would have been sent back. I'll never buy another shop fox machine, that's for sure.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---