Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Note to self, buy gloves to use when handling raw lumber.

I bought two pair of these. A9 rating.

Thanks.
    Brian

https://www.superiorglove.com/en/end...with-oilbloctm
    Brian

Blog Entries
    A little late to this thread, but here's a story to prove what you all already know.. leather gloves (or similar) are a must when handing rough lumber.

Year ago when I was in the "barn saving" years of my life, I was routinely crawling all over our old building. One day I reached for my hammer, and a toothpick sized sliver caught under my finger nail on my pointer finger. I could see it about all the way up to my first knuckle.

When this happened, I was on a scaffold an a completely-not-OSHA-certified pose of some sort, so I swore a few times, used my pliers to pull the splinter out, swore a bunch more, and got back to work.

A couple days later, my hand began to increasingly throb, and I couldn't button a shirt or type on a keyboard due to the pain. Then, I started getting red streaks up my arm, and started logging a fever.

At this point, we went to the doctor's office and he told me that my 1902 barn had jammed something nefarious into my finger besides that wood. Old barns, the gift that keeps giving. In short, I had an infection spreading pretty quickly.

A strong dose of antibiotics luckily did the trick. Within about 48 hours, the final remnants of the sliver literally found their own way back out of my finger... seemingly running away from the medicine in my body. I'll never forget the feeling of instant relief when the last shard came out.

Since then, I use gloves when handling timbers, rough lumber, construction materials etc. Only when I'm to a more finished/controlled place in a project to I go back to bare hands.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Count me in as part of the "Glove Crew". I remember getting a wicked sliver off some Lyptus that Sam was doing back in the Minimax days. Not big but had to dig it out and burned like a mother while it was under the skin. I prefer the Mecanix-type gloves that have a fabric glove with suede-type palms.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

guess I’m soft , but I’ve been wearing gloves when handling lumber since I was kid.

my go too have been thin goatskin, but I’ve started using what Erik mentions. The silly terrycloth brow wipe isn’t that silly in hot climates.

I have gloves on almost all the time now when getting raw lumber. If I go the the lumber yard to pick up boards they are usually somewhat trimmed and even sometimes rough planned to just remove the mill marks.

However live edge stuff, 100 gloves, even moving it around once I have it home. Only time the gloves come off is when I am starting to work with the wood on machines. Gloves and band saw or table saws are a no-no.