Thread: Has anyone here owned/used the Jet JDCD-3 Dust Collector?

Has anyone here owned/used the Jet JDCD-3 Dust Collector?

The Jet JDCD-3 dust collector is the right size and portability for my small shop, and the reviews on it are pretty good. I'm not comparing it to taller or station units. Anyone who has used this unit's feedback is appreciated!

Do not own one but have been wanting to upgrade my dc for some time. IMHO, the inlet at the bottom of the vertical portion of the cyclone appears to be a design flaw. The cylindrical portion of the cyclone permits air to spin around the inside and the number of complete rotations leads to greater efficiency. Users seem to be happy with the actual performance, though.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Do not own one but have been wanting to upgrade my dc for some time. IMHO, the inlet at the bottom of the vertical portion of the cyclone appears to be a design flaw. The cylindrical portion of the cyclone permits air to spin around the inside and the number of complete rotations leads to greater efficiency. Users seem to be happy with the actual performance, though.
    Thanks for the feedback. What are you currently using? I am using a wall mount Dust Right with "650CFM" and a Flex-hose. Are you using any type of ducting system?

I have a Jet Dc1200VX-CK1. I built my own cyclone at work, but my shop is pretty small and get by with a 10' length of hose for the table saw, planer and jointer. The collector you mention does have a rather short cone section. I have personally seen the 3hp model and it's a beast, not really mobile. If you just plan on taking your collector machine to machine without ductwork, I would suggest a smaller unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Yeaglin View Post
    I have a Jet Dc1200VX-CK1. I built my own cyclone at work, but my shop is pretty small and get by with a 10' length of hose for the table saw, planer and jointer. The collector you mention does have a rather short cone section. I have personally seen the 3hp model and it's a beast, not really mobile. If you just plan on taking your collector machine to machine without ductwork, I would suggest a smaller unit.
    Thanks for the feedback. I have also read about the short cone being an issue and how popular Clear Vue dust collectors are here. I guess my concern is 1) the cost, its about $600 more than the JDCD-3 which is $600 more than the JDCD-1 (which is what I was looking at), and its totally non-mobile. I was planning to move it into the center during my weekend work, and collapse it back to a corner during the work week (for car parking).

Well, every thread needs a hater so - Why would anyone spend $1800 on a short cone cyclone w/ lousy separation ? Just seems foolish to me .

you may be better served by something like I bought, it's mobile, has a 2 micron filter, can run 6'' if you want. The price is kinder on the wallet, also Jet runs 15% sales I got mine for $680 with free shipping from woodcraft. The cost savings could buy an air cleaner which is next on my list. Sheet good make a mess.

I've got a neighbor who has this in his garage, located underneath the garage door area itself. He seems to like it okay.

People seem to choose this (or the laguna PFLUX/CFLUX) if they don't have the vertical clearance for the taller cyclones that offer better separation.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    Well, every thread needs a hater so - Why would anyone spend $1800 on a short cone cyclone w/ lousy separation ? Just seems foolish to me .
    I said I'm not comparing it to taller or stationary units. I guess I may re-evaluate and see if there is anyway for me to get a Clear Vue in.

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    I said I'm not comparing it to taller or stationary units. I guess I may re-evaluate and see if there is anyway for me to get a Clear Vue in.
    How about the Oneida Mini Gorrilla , $1400 ?

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    How about the Oneida Mini Gorrilla , $1400 ?
    Thanks for the suggestion James. I looked at the Oneida but I was checking out the larger Dust Deputies and the price was restrictive. I saw good reviews for the Gorilla but for single I wanted to go up to 3HP so I could eventually install fixed ducts when I build an actual Woodshop.

It looks like the mini-gorilla is portable, but design really for single tool. It has a 13" impeller with 3500 RPM. Thats comparable to the Jet JDCD-1; so its probably a comparable unit with a better separator. The other big difference is the HEPA filter and 99.97% @ .3 micron filtration. That blows away the JDCD series which is "99% of 2 micron particles; 86% of 1 micron particles".

I think I'm going to have to re-investigate the Oneida offerings in general.

Based on the feedback here. It seems like I should spend a bit more and find a way to make either the 3HP V-Series From Oneida (3000) or the Clear Vue CV1800LH (or the MAX) in my space.

Oneida Filter is .3 Micron compared to Clear Vue at .5 micron. I wonder how much wood particular fits into that .2 micron window.

They both have 15" Impellers, but the Clear Vue is 5HP and the Oneida is 3HP. Still, the CFM is comparable. 1442 CFM for the 1800LH vs 1349 for the Oneida. 1700CFM for the Max. (Filtered CFM Values)

I find it really interesting that the JET JDCD-3 at 15" with 3HP is 1200CFM~ with a 1 micron filter at 86% effective. The other thing that is really interesting is the Jet has an 8" inlet, but the Clear Vue and the Oneida have 6" ports??? (Clear Vue Max has 8"). I looked at the CFM charts, it seems like 6" is the appropriate size for that CFM/FPM rating, I guess the Jet has an oversized inlet.

So the JDCD-3 at 1800$ seems the least performant the the biggest inlet and worst filter. The Clear Vue is 5HP with a better filter and lower price ($1755 or $2085 for the comparable Oneida bundle). The Oneida is the most expensive ($2499) with comparable performance to the Clear Vue Non-Max, can be stand alone (not wall mounted), and has a better filter.

Does anyone know if the Clear Vue or Oneida's ever go on sale?

I bought the JCDC-2 a number of years ago due to my former shop's height restrictions. It has worked just fine but does suffer from short-cone syndrome - stuff gets past the cyclone and into the filter catch bag. I have to empty it once for about every five full bins. In my opinion this is not a dealbreaker if your shop space doesn't permit the 8'+ for a long-cone machine.

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    I bought the JCDC-2 a number of years ago due to my former shop's height restrictions. It has worked just fine but does suffer from short-cone syndrome - stuff gets past the cyclone and into the filter catch bag. I have to empty it once for about every five full bins. In my opinion this is not a dealbreaker if your shop space doesn't permit the 8'+ for a long-cone machine.
    Thanks David, great to hear from an actual owner. Question, on the 2HP system, how do you have it setup, i.e. a pipe, flex hose, etc?

If you minimize the flex to the minimum , you'll see the best results . Flex has much more resistance than smooth pipe , so eliminate all you can in YOUR situation .