Thread: Attaching Veneer

Attaching Veneer

Trying to decide about an end panel on kitchen, may use veneer. What glue is everyone using for attaching veneer?
    Thanks,
    "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door!"

What type of veneer? I use TiteBond III for most of my veneer work. But I'm using .125" veneer and a vacuum press. If I was using phenolic backed veneer and didn't have a vacuum set up, I would use contact adhesive. If I was using unbacked, thin veneer, without a press, I'd use double sided adhesive film.

The "best" adhesive for raw veneer is arguably urea formaldehyde aka powdered plastic resin glue as it has a very stiff glueline and extended open time. Its drawbacks include toxicity and the requirement for minimum 70 F temperature and a fairly slow cure without added heat.

PVA glues like Titebond also work well, although not recommended for movement prone woods like burls or crotches. I have laid a lot of raw veneer with pva's without problems, but a moisture resistant version should be used around dishwashers and similar situations. I like Titebond l Extend for its rigidity. Titebond Cold Press has added shell flour filler to pevent bleedthrough and there are blocker additives available for ppr for the same purpose.

For paperback veneer pva's are commonly used. Contact cement may be used with a thick (.020")backer but is not recommended with the more common .010" backer.

For phenolic backed veneer, contact cement may be used, as can pva glue. Contact cement should never be used with raw veneer.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 01-10-2021 at 8:52 AM.

4. Titebond cold press veneer adhesive and a vacuum press.

Kevin J. gave a good summary. I've laid a lot of veneer using plain old white glue. Works well but not if moisture is in the area.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Basically I am leaving most of my uppers in the kitchen in place and redoing the doors. Above the stove I was thinking of veneering the end of the panel under the hood. It would be paper back, or i could order woodback.
    "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Caldwell View Post
    Basically I am leaving most of my uppers in the kitchen in place and redoing the doors. Above the stove I was thinking of veneering the end of the panel under the hood. It would be paper back, or i could order woodback.
    I had that exact application in my kitchen remodel. When I built the kitchen 25 years ago I used paper backed veneer and glued it to the Melamine cabinet sides with contact cement. Never had a problem, so this time I sanded my shop sawn veneer down to 1/32" and glued it with TBII to Kraft paper to make my own paper backed veneer. I glued it with spray contact cement to the cabinet sides, then finished them in place to match the cabinets. Nearly 2 years now and all is well.

John, that is most helpful ! I've only seen the stuff used to fix sloppy ,failing work. Good to know its "not just for hacks
    any more".