Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Rust Hunt of the year, for me..

1st Rust Hunt of the year, for me..

Drove down the road to a place in Springfield, OH....out east of town....a small village called Harmony, OH. on US 40E....just before it meets up with I-70.....place called Heart of Ohio.

Spent over 2 hours walking around..had a budget of under $100....which left out 99% of the handplanes I saw.....First item I "picked"...
    Rust Hunt 2021, miter saw.JPG
    Simpson-SEARS, Toronto, CAN. 4" x 26" Kromedge miter box saw...12 ppi.
    Rust Hunt 2021, saw logo.JPG
    Handle was a plywood like thing, but comfy, actually..
    Rust Hunt 2021, handle details.JPG

And still very sharp....next up? These two showed up at one location....( more on that location in a bit...)
    Rust Hunt 2021, GP and Yankee.JPG
    North Bros/Stanley No. 130A, and a Goodell Pratt Company, Toolsmiths No. 185 ( with 7 tips!)
    have spent $40 or so...so far....There was a Stanley ( I think) #45...well, about half of one.....main body, 2 rods, one cutter, and the fence...and that was it...for the low price of $125....no sliding stock, no depth stops....nothing else....about like the #78 clones I kept seeing...for $45....

Ok..next spot...after walking another mile or so..
    Rust Hunt 2021, Starrett Dividers.JPG
    6" ruler for scale...Stamped up near the spring..The S. Starrett Co. , Athol, MASS, USA....Tag said $4....I guess I could afford it.. Points are needle sharp...they had them wrapped up in 1/4 roll of tape....More walking Stanley No. 4-1/2....$225? Not today, sorry...last pick of the afternoon..
    Rust Hunt 2021, small gauge.JPG
    This little feller....has a blued blade, with a clipped corner Stanley box...and a SW below that...why "little"? When I put a "normal" sized bevel gauge beside it..
    Rust Hunt 2021, two sizes.JPG
    Instead of Rosewood, little guy used Walnut....locking arm is iron/steel, not brass....$8 too much?

About tripped over a Stanley No. 7...was just sitting on the floor infront of the stall's shelves....then I looked at the price tag....$125...since I already had a Type 9, No. 7c at home..decided to leave this one where it lay....

Long line at the cash registers....took a while...total came to.....$68...including tax.

A stop at Harbor Freight on the way home....another $15...spent there....Even the sun came out for a while, today....still too dang cold.

And THAT was my Road Trip Rust Hunt Day.....how was your's?

Steven,

Looks like you had a good day.

Me, still down with knee replacement recovery. Donna and I attended church on line, and then after dinner a nap. Good day for me, but nothing accomplished except rest.

Stew

Heal up, but do not rush it.

Had some leftover cash yesterday.....Dangerous, I know Decided to check out the 2 local to me stores....1st one....meh...nothing new had been added.The second one has 3 floors AND a basement....Basement is about all shopped out ( won't say by who ) usual stuff on the ground floor. usually, I do not wander up the stairs...thinking only books and such were ever out there....until...

2 stalls first had a large outside caliper, and a small Coffin Smoother....Surprise. Thought I was doing good...until I glanced into the next stall........ouch! Shelf after shelf of vintage tools...block planes alone took up an entire shelf. Decided the Winchester No. 6c was a bit out of my budget ( $80!) and the Winchester No. 4 beside it wasn't either ( $65 because of the name on the lever cap?)

On a shelf above the Block planes....was a shelf on bench planes....didn't reeeelly need another Jack plane ($12?) or a Handyman plane....but, there was a pair of Keen Kutter No. 4 planes....of course I picked the one that was $5 less ( have no idea why the extra $?)
    Antique Mall Finds, side view.JPG
    Maybe they thought the grooves in the sole..
    Antique Mall Finds, groovy.JPG
    Made it worth less.....
    Antique Mall Finds, front view.JPG
    Price tag said $40....I can handle that...but...on the way out of that stall....spotted a $4 "Egg beater" drill...
    Antique Mall Finds, drill , front.JPG
    Hmmmm, crank has a logo.....Millers Falls No. 77? Turn this over ( on the way to my hand, BTW)
    Antique Mall Finds, gear box.JPG
    Ok...better exit stage right.....before anything else happens to hop into my hands.....Counting Sales Tax? $47, and change.....

That place is DANGEROUS! Both to my wallet, and to me when I get back home......

Will start the rehab later today...film @ 2300 Hrs? IF anyone wants to see?

Have cleaned and flattened the iron for that plane.....had more bends than the old river road....Curves were straightened out flat....back was also flattened..
    Keen Kutter Rehab, clean and straightened.JPG
    Even managed to get that logo to come out a little better..
    Keen Kutter Rehab, logo on iron.JPG
    However...the chipbreaker will require a bit of ...actual work ( get your hands dirty sort of thing)
    Keen Kutter Rehab, chipbreaker face.JPG
    Rusty & Krusty at it's finest? Underside?
    Keen Kutter Rehab, chipbreaker details.JPG
    Work in progress?
    Will see how this turns out...not sure which plane maker made this No. 4c for E.C. Simmons...

Edge of the iron has zero pits...iron is on the thicker side..about 1/8" even. looked like when the plane fell..it had landed right on the end of the iron...maybe.

lever cap...has a "different way" of adding the flat spring..
    Keen Kutter Rehab, lever cap underside.JPG
    lateral looks almost like either a Union, or an Ohio Tool Co.
    Keen Kutter Rehab, frog details 3.JPG
    Knurling?
    Keen Kutter Rehab, frog details 2.JPG
    Frog seating is a bit different...
    Keen Kutter Rehab, base casting.JPG

Might be worth the effort to rehab this plane.....

Have found out, this was made by Ohio Tool Co. Have a few more items cleaned up..
    Keen Kutter Rehab, next clean ups.JPG
    Have mated the edge of the chipbreaker to a plane iron...no gaps...
    Keen Kutter Rehab, all shined up.JPG
    Have since brought the frog to the shop....and cleaned it up....polished the RH thread wheel, too....man they used a LONG bolt for the lever cap bolt, and the threaded rod for the depth adjustor wheel...

As for that Millers Falls drill....a No. 77 with an enclosed gear box...
    Vintage drill rehab, gear box.JPG
    Box was cleaned up..need to clean off some over-spray....gear will need buffed up a bit,,,,once the paint dries
    Vintage drill rehab, new paint, gear.JPG
    Crank's wood handle was loose...set up an anvil..
    Vintage drill rehab, rivet tightened.JPG
    And peened the handle down a little tighter...didn't want it too tight...it does have to rotate...
    Vintage drill rehab, waiting around.JPG
    Waiting around on paint to cure....while I go and wash me hands up..
    Working hands, left.JPGWorking hands, right.JPG

yep, these be working hands....

Stay tuned...( Wondering IF that plane's sole needs lapped? probably..not.)

Well I surely hope you will rehab those things, otherwise you wasted your money! :-)

Lots of good stuff.

Blog Entries
    A fun project would be make a curly maple handle for it with bright saw nuts.

Blog Entries
    Keen Kutter No. 4 planes....of course I picked the one that was $5 less ( have no idea why the extra $?)
    The one in your image is a KK 4. If the other was a K 4 it was a Bedrock design instead of the Bailey design. Well worth the extra $5 to some.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

All cleaned up...and ready for some lumber ( when I get some).
    Keen Kutter Rehab, logo on iron.JPG
    1/8" thick iron ( made by Ohio Tool Co.)
    Keen Kutter Rehab, port side.JPG
    and..
    Keen Kutter Rehab, stern view.JPG
    Stern view....bow-on view?
    Keen Kutter Rehab, bow view.JPG

As for the eggbeater drill/
    Vintage drill rehab, gear done.JPG
    and..
    Vintage drill rehab, chuck details.JPG
    Hole apparently is to oil the gear in that end...chuck has 3 jaws, with intact springs...
    Vintage drill rehab, crank cleaned.JPG
    Millers Falls No. 77...before the move to Greenfield, MASS.

A couple of things about that KK 4c....besides that was made by Ohio Tool Co. before 1920....
    Keen Kutter Rehab, base casting.JPG
    Same size as a Stanley No. 4....frog seat is very different, Frog bolts are a bit shorter than a Stanley's...

Normal sized for a No. 4....yet the tote has a toe bolt?
    Keen Kutter Rehab, frog details 1.JPG
    This is the underside of the frog....The depth adjuster is right hand thread.
    Keen Kutter Rehab, frog details 3.JPG
    3 line knurling. Lateral has the twisted end, shaped as a tear-drop.
    Keen Kutter Rehab, frog face.JPG
    Lateral has the round washer. Nice solid, flat face for the iron to rest on.
    Keen Kutter Rehab, lever cap underside.JPG
    They machined a space for the lever cap's spring to sit in..
    Keen Kutter Rehab, tote details.JPG
    Tote: horn is worn where the index finger would be. Tote bolt is...different. Has the bolt hole in the toe, that matches a hole in the base casting...yet this is just a No. 4 sized plane...crack seems to be a well repaired older one....

Will be taking this down to the shop, for a test drive.....have to try out the NEW Bench Dogs, too..
    New bench dogs.JPG
    Seems Kreg came out with something I'd actually use.....

Stay tuned

BTW: those 2 Winchester planes at that mall....are both Bedrock made by Stanley....$145 for the pair.....

And....we have shavings...
    Keen Kutter Rehab, test 1.JPG
    First try to set the depth....something wasn't quite right.....turned out I didn't have the chipbreaker lock into place....it was moving...but, not the iron....got that fixed, gave the iron a little more hone...
    Keen Kutter Rehab, getting there.JPG
    Almost there....double checked it against a Stanley of the same age..
    Keen Kutter Rehab, pair of 4s.JPG
    Stanley #4, Type 10.....

Kind of hard to stop....when testing for shavings...
    Keen Kutter Rehab, hard to stop.JPG
    Even with very UGLY Pine....

No pictures yet, but....finally won an auction at "that site"......Now waiting by the mailbox for it to arrive....

Stanley No. 45, Type 3..( my current user is a Type 20) Large brass knobs, with the slots......floral patterned castings, that are japanned black. Rods that thread into the main body.

Will mainly be set up as a dado plane...to compliment my Stanley #39 3/8" dado plane....say like for doing 3/4" dados.

Doesn't have the depth stops..so I also ordered ONE....it takes the non-threaded kind. ($18 for the stop, counting tax)

Winning bid? A whopping $52 and change..counting tax and shipping ( bid was just $38.00, BTW)

Will post a few pictures, once they both arrive....via USPS....might be fun, watching where the tracking numbers wind up....

Depth stop has arrived for that Stanley #45, Type 3.....plane itself is to be here Saturday...until then?
    From that second floor of that Antique Mall.....
    2 Stall Rust Hunt, 2 grit stone.JPG
    Oil stone in a box...has a coarse grit and a "fine" grit...
    2 Stall Rust Hunt, bit holder .JPG
    Tool Holder..with 3 bits IN the hollow handle..
    2 stall rust hunt, rehab holder.JPG
    Stanley SW Marking gauge..
    2 Stall Rust Hunt, marking gauge.JPG
    2 Stall Rust Hunt, marking gauge logo.JPG
    And a Type 19 Stanley No. 5 Jack plane...
    2 Stall Rust Hunt, port side view.JPG
    Of the $40 spent...the jack plane cost $20...
    2 Stall Rust Hunt, Starboard view.JPG
    Looks like I have some clean up to do....including the depth stop..
    Stanley 45 depth stop.JPG
    Will post a few pictures once things are presentable for Polite Company.....

Marking gauge has a Mustache?

Stanley #45, Type 3....
    Stanley 45, T-3, assembled.JPG
    Stanley 45,T-3, top view.JPG
    Stanley 45, T-3, sliding skate.JPGStanley 45,T-3, disassembled.JPG
    No japanning is left. Wood is in great shape. Needs a very good scrubbing down, and japanning added ( Engine Black, Semi-Gloss)
    Needs depth stops, spurs sharpened up, and round up some cutters.

That stanley No. 5, Type 19.....still needs it iron sharpened up, otherwise it is all cleaned up and ready for work...will get a few pictures of it, tomorrow. Just spent the last 4 days in the Hospital.....might be a few days before I get moving a bit better...

Doing alrite Steve?