Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taylor Tools

Taylor Tools

Has anyone bought new hand tools from Taylor Toolworks?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I've bought some but through Amazon - not directly from them. They're decent tools but made a bit less expensively than some others. For people on a budget they're a good choice.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I bought their shoulder plane when I had a need for one and Lee Valley was out of stock. Quality and fit and finish was just OK; I had to do quite a bit of work to get the blade square and properly aligned to the body. I ended up buying the Veritas when it was back in stock; way nicer (and a fair bit more expensive to be fair). I expect one day the Tay tools version's ability to convert to a chisel plane or a bullnose plane will come in handy, but that has happened yet.... That's the only experience I can relate.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I could have used a bullnose yesterday. Not having one I used a chisel.

I’ve tried a couple times. Once I didn’t like the igaging ruler. Which wasn’t their fault. Second time they sent a different product than what was advertised. Both times they took the return and refunded the amount. Don’t know what your buying but I like Harry Epstein for PEC seconds and some clamps.

I'll second the PEC seconds. I have a number of their double squares. Good quality tools and a good price (for the seconds).

I think I bought the PEC seconds on eBay.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I bought their kerfing tool for blind dovetails. Decent tool for 25 bucks or so.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Blog Entries
    A lesson from coin collecting has often guided my tool buying, "buy the best quality you can afford."

Even during lean times it would be hard for me to think of a time when a sacrifice of quality was made to save a few dollars didn't cause regrets later.

Of course some might think of my propensity to buy bench planes as inexpensively as possible. Old Stanley/Bailey planes are quality planes. Imagine, every type 11 Stanley/Bailey plane is now over a century old and most are still usable. Many will still be usable another century from now.

When it comes to saving a few dollars, instead of sacrificing quality do your best to search or negotiate for a better price.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    As far as a company, they are good. They have good customer service, good shipping, and good products. As far as their branded plane, I have seen the review online as being OK; better than most but subpar than WoodRiver. I have bought their combination square, straight edge, and clamps. I have used them to buy all the WoodOwl augers and the Narex chisels.

I've bought several things from them. Mostly good experience. They are one of the few places you can get Narex Richter chisels. They move about as quick as Rockler, so an order is usually on it's way in a day or two. I had one issue towards Christmas, when a chisel was delayed (usps). Eventually I sourced it someplace else, expecting it not to show up (3 weeks late and no tracking updates). TT issued me a timely refund. The chisel showed up a week later, so I contacted them, asked them for a return authorization and asked them not to refund my purchase a second time. They were very communicative and everything went smooth as silk. Probably ordered from them 6 or seven times and no issues other than the one I mentioned.

Thanks for the information. I wondered from a business standpoint what kind of a reputation they had. I am looking at sources of chisels, in fact, Narex Richter chisels which I am considering buying. 2 years ago I bought a Veritas PM-11 1" bench chisel and have been happy with it except for price. I would like to order 3 more chisels to put my nearly 40 year old Craftsman into a back up role. The steel on the Craftsman is just way too soft IMO.

Thanks again!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I bought a couple rulers from them. As far as I can recall the ordering/shipping/etc. all went smooth. One item I got from them was an off-brand 18” rule that would fit in my starrett square. I’ve really liked having the extra long rule when I’m working with panels that are too wide for a 12” combination square. Before I had to mark as much as I could, then extend the line with a straight edge. I couldn’t talk myself into buying an 18” starrett rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ellenberger View Post
    I bought a couple rulers from them. As far as I can recall the ordering/shipping/etc. all went smooth. One item I got from them was an off-brand 18” rule that would fit in my starrett square. I’ve really liked having the extra long rule when I’m working with panels that are too wide for a 12” combination square. Before I had to mark as much as I could, then extend the line with a straight edge. I couldn’t talk myself into buying an 18” starrett rule.
    Look for a Starrett 8H combination square. eBay had one for sale recently. It's the big brother of combination squares and has a 24" rule.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'll second the PEC seconds. I have a number of their double squares. Good quality tools and a good price (for the seconds).

I think I bought the PEC seconds on eBay.

Mike
    Harry Epstein carries them too. Good value for the money, and I've had one problem with an order.. they promptly fixed without issue.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

No hand tools, but did get a set of large trammel points from them and thought they were well made, especially for the price.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry