Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did the Nigerian Prince Move to Canada?

Blog Entries

Did the Nigerian Prince Move to Canada?

A letter came in the mail addressed to a former owner of my home who moved away more than a dozen years ago.

Many years ago he was contacted and said he doesn't care about mail coming to this address. We do not get as much of their mail as in the past. This one had a Canada Post / Postes Canada mark. Most of the time this would have been tossed in the recycling. Curiosity got the best of me.

My scanner doesn't want to work and my time is better spent on other things so a camera was used to create an image:

Nigerian Prince Mocved to Canada?.jpg

the names of the former resident and the "firm's client" have been 'redacted.'

If this isn't a scam, it surely sounds like it isn't legal.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I agree it doesn't sound legit. The address doesn't appear to be a law firm and Mr Google doesn't seem to find the law firm.

Blog Entries
    Besides, who would leave a payable on death account of that sum without anyone named as a payee?

What is even more shocking is this came in the mail. My guess is if it was taken to the Post Office they would likely pass it around later for a laugh and not do much else.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"This is 100% risk free." WARNING! WARNING WILL ROBINSON! Attorneys don't ever write things like that. Not ever. They don't give guarantees because they know better.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I don’t know because I’m busy with my foreign looking email from DHL about an unshipped package. On second thought, any unclaimed money deals get soaked up by buddies at insurance and law offices.

I think he misspelled Nigeria in the body of the letter he spelled it Niagra, Onterio. I have never heard of a interest bearing payment of this type that comes out to an exact penny amount . Much less round off to the nearest thousand dollars. Hard to think any lawyer would offer to help you commit fraud and theft in writing.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A letter came in the mail addressed to a former owner of my home who moved away more than a dozen years ago.

Many years ago he was contacted and said he doesn't care about mail coming to this address. We do not get as much of their mail as in the past. This one had a Canada Post / Postes Canada mark. Most of the time this would have been tossed in the recycling. Curiosity got the best of me.

My scanner doesn't want to work and my time is better spent on other things so a camera was used to create an image:

Nigerian Prince Mocved to Canada?.jpg

the names of the former resident and the "firm's client" have been 'redacted.'

If this isn't a scam, it surely sounds like it isn't legal.

jtk

So he hasn't gotten rid of that money yet? My wife got that or similar letter a couple years back. Money came from a deceased uncle who last name was the same as mine, not her maiden name. I wished I had realized we were kin before marring 42+ years ago. We might be cousins.

Whenever I see those, I'm tempted to get a throw away email account and have some fun. Kinda like this
    https://www.ted.com/talks/james_veit...il?language=en

Don't worry Bruce. It is legal in about half the USA to marry your first cousin. Royalty do it all the time. The Pharaohs of ancient Egypt married their sisters to keep the Greek blood strong.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Don't worry Bruce. It is legal in about half the USA to marry your first cousin. Royalty do it all the time. The Pharaohs of ancient Egypt married their sisters to keep the Greek blood strong.
    Bill D.
    Wandering off topic but I found it interesting that the English and German royal families were related by marriage. I was thinking that an awful lot of people died in WW I in what sort of looked like a family feud.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Wandering off topic but I found it interesting that the English and German royal families were related by marriage. I was thinking that an awful lot of people died in WW I in what sort of looked like a family feud.
    That would be my family tree....on both sides. Hapsburgs and Catherine of Aragon in the tree. (Her father was King of Spain)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

I assume you're not actually asking whether it is a scam? It is pretty obviously just a domestic variant of the Nigerian Prince scam.

The thing that amazes me is that there must me an actual, real uptake rate on these things, because otherwise nobody would bother doing them.

Queen Vctoria had nine children. She married her first cousin Albert. Her daughters got married to a future Russian Csar, King of Spain, German nobles etc. At least two grandchildren had hemophilia from bad genes. The Last Russian Csar's spoke English and German at home and a little French. Some even spoke Russian.
    Bill D

Thanks for tracking the Nigerian Prince down. I've been having trouble contacting him, and he owes me a couple of favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That would be my family tree....on both sides. Hapsburgs and Catherine of Aragon in the tree. (Her father was King of Spain)
    All bow down and welcome...uh...Sire Jimmy!

My DNA shows I'm related to Jesse James.
    My Wife agrees.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night