Thread: Milwaukee Charger

Milwaukee Charger

I recently got a 12 volt Milwaukee drill and drill driver with charger. When I put the charger next to my other chargers and tried to charge the battery it wouldn't charge. The red and green lights keep blinking which according to the instructions say it's too cold. I move it into the house and it solid red which means charging. I have all my other chargers in the shop, DeWalt, Stihl, and Greenworks and they all work just fine. Anyone experience something similar or is my charger having troubles? I ask because it's brand new and I can replace it while under warranty. Thanks

I cannot comment on the low temp, but I do have an M12 charger right next to my Makita 18V charger, and it works just fine.

I do notice the M12 is more sensitive to charging a battery that is warm from use. It waits till the battery cools off before starting the charge. The Makita does the same thing, but is not as sensitive.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thank you, it's inside and working fine. My shop is no where near the 15F temp. they mention as being too cold, closer to 55F. Oh well, I guess I just keep it in the house.

Blog Entries
    If the charger indicates it's too cold when it's at 55*, then something is wrong with it & should be returned for warranty.

Rick, the Makita has a fan cooling system which helps with the warm packs.

Yup, my single charger fan can be heard across the room. It is about 15 years old, and still ticking. I also have a newer 18V double charger, and it is much quieter.

BTW, my 15 year old Makita batteries still work, but not as long as they used to. My newer 6AH batteries are no larger than the original 3 AH. Pretty impressive.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

That problem is exactly why I prefer Dewalt. You'll also find that the Milwaukee batteries die faster in the "cold".

I have used the chargers for a while. My rapid charger M18/M12 occasionally does this, I think there must be a reset in it. Since it started working again, of course it was when I was going to send it in under warranty. I use mainly my M18/M12 Rapid multi-charger now, which I scored a great deal at Home Depot on Clearance for $60. I have a lot of M12 chargers sitting on the shelf, since I don't need them. One of the gripes is about Milwaukee not including the their dual charger in the kits. Dan