Thread: TS Recommendation-Grizzly G0869 VS Ridgid R4514

TS Recommendation-Grizzly G0869 VS Ridgid R4514

I am in the market for a new Table Saw. I was an avid woodworker about 10 years ago, and I am slowly getting back into it. I am limited on space, thus the reason I am looking at a portable style TS. I plan to build a custom cart to mount the saw to, that will also hold a router table built in.

My old saw was a Ridgid TS3612 and it worked good.

I would appreciate feedback on these two saws, or if there is a different model sub $500 that I should consider, that would be great too.

I mainly build small cabinet projects, outdoor projects, cutting boards, and will be starting to do CNC engraving making signs, etc.

TIA!

Pete

Can't see what the fence looks like on the Ridgid and the one on the Griz looks kind of cheesy. If you can swing $600, the Dewalt DWE7491RS is worth a look. Comes with a crappy blade so you need to add in the $ for new thin kerf. I tried a good 1/8" Woodworker blade but the saw doesn't have the oomph. It would be nice if you cold actually see the saws before buying, but that's not an option where I live. Even when they have them in the store (HD) they aren't setup.

these small portable saws are not really accurate, most have direct-drive blades which will translate into any motor vibrations being transferred to the blade. You will also end up with some frustration with the fence on them as your cuts are not going to be very accurate.

Going from the contractor model you had, your really going backwards and will potentially end up on the upgrade train very soon, esp if you are building small cabinets and cutting boards. While Delta has not been at the top of the quality tools as of late, Lowes has a contractor saw for $599 (Model #36-725T2). It should provide you with better service than a portable that is great for their purpose.

Blog Entries
    I know it sounds like we are trying to spend your money but, that is not it. It is just that no one so far can recommend one of your choices with good conscience. For example, a relative was here yesterday and used my old Craftsman contractor saw and loved how much more solid and how much safer it felt than his saw. If sub-$500 won't get you to a good new saw I would recommend looking at used machines that can be easily brought up to snuff. It's a trade off. Newer machines will have riving knives but, the lighter weight saws have knives that are mounted is such a flimsy manner that maintaining adjustment (as well as their actual functionality) can be questionable. I'm not slinging mud. I just can't say "go for saw -X-" if I don't feel good about it.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-09-2021 at 10:08 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I know it sounds like we are trying to spend your money but, that is not it. It is just that no one so far can recommend one of your choices with good conscience. For example, a relative was here yesterday and used my old Craftsman contractor saw and loved how much more solid and how much safer it felt than his saw. If sub-$500 won't get you to a good new saw I would recommend looking at used machines that can be easily brought up to snuff. It's a trade off. Newer machines will have riving knives but, the lighter weight saws have knives that are mounted is such a flimsy manner that maintaining adjustment (as well as their actual functionality) can be questionable. I'm not slinging mud. I just can't say "go for saw -X-" if I don't feel good about it.
    I agree with this also. The Delta I recommended is a step up and more like the Ridged (style wise) to what you had in the past. Not sure where you are located but there are good used saws out there if you look. While not for sale right now, when I do put my Jet Contractor saw on the market, i'll most likely be looking for about $400 just so it goes to a good home. I have seen my saw on the used market between 350 (bad shape) to well, more than most people paid for it back then. So - looking used might be an option if your in the sub-$500 range.

Agree with what J. Rapp posted: "Going from the contractor model you had, your really going backwards...."

As for the Delta Model #36-725T2, there have been numerous reports within the last 9 months or so about motor problems and Delta's nonchalant attitude. I follow a few of the Facebook woodworking pages and from what I read, there is a Delta 36-725 page for this saw and its quirks, problems, fixes, etc.

Seems to me that you're going to end up with a similar footprint with your plan as you would with a contractor's style saw or hybrid saw with a router in the table. Going with the latter two would get you into an induction motor and more weight/mass for better performance.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the reply and info. Looks like I will be looking for a used contractor/hybrid TS, or save some more $$ for a new unit. How important is a built-in riving knife? I found a used Ridgid TS3650 locally, but I do not think it has a riving knife.

Thanks again!

Pete

Ok, I have to ask again. I can get a new Ridgid R4514 for sub $300. Should I pass and hold out for something else?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by peter lent View Post
    Ok, I have to ask again. I can get a new Ridgid R4514 for sub $300. Should I pass and hold out for something else?

Thanks!
    Again up to you - but your buying a saw that is used for job-sites to rough-cut things during construction. Good luck getting anything accurate out of it and you'll have it on craigslist in weeks for $100

There is an old photographer saying "The best camera is the one you have in your hand when the photo opportunity is there".

If now is when you have time available to get set up, and if what you have to work with is $300 and just enough space for a portable contractor saw, then consider starting there?

I'm kind of in the same place you are with limited space, (probably less skilled since most of my woodworking has been of the 2x4 and CDX plywood style ). I had an old Craftsman table saw but no place to leave it set up. I rarely used it because it took so much effort to dig it out from the pile at the back end of the garage. So I sold it and bought a portable. Making that decision has freed me to move forward on figuring out how to set up what space I do have available and to concentrate on getting other tools that I need

I can't speak to the saw you're looking at, I picked up a DWE7941RS for about $500 a year ago or so but everyone is building out their woodworking spaces right now so I don't know when that price will come back. I would suggest maybe looking at the reviews and youtube videos to get a feel for what its reasonable to expect performance-wise? It won't be the same as a full-size (mine has an aluminum top and free-hand adjustment on the blade angle for example). But trim carpenters have been successfully using little bitty portables for years so it seems like its possible?

FWIW, Here's a video of a cabinet person using a portable

https://youtu.be/k2OFbsnGaVI

Just a couple of additional comments

The Grizzly G0869 is pretty much a twin to the Metabo HPT C10RJS although the Grizzly variable speed power switch is different. I was pretty impressed with the Metabo and nearly purchased it instead of my Dewalt but they were having some issues with the soft-start switch. I don't see anything in the Grizzly reviews about it so I assume they have that resolved.

You might check the miter gauge slot on the Ridgid. I believe some of their machines had a kind of funky slot, either not standard size or maybe that instead of a standard T slot, they had intermittant ridges in the grovet or something like that which pretty much negated upgrading to a better miter gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Seems to me that you're going to end up with a similar footprint with your plan as you would with a contractor's style saw or hybrid saw with a router in the table. Going with the latter two would get you into an induction motor and more weight/mass for better performance.
    Better dust collection and easier tune up too with the hybrid saw. Maybe keep an eye out for used Craftsman "zip code" saws made by Orion. I think the model # were 22114 and 22124. The model numbers looked like zip codes hence the name. Those had a pretty good reputation AFAIK.