Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone having trouble ordering tools?

Anyone having trouble ordering tools?

I bought a powermatic jointer and an edge sander. They told me they had 12 1285 powermatic jointers in stock then I go to order a couple weeks later and they're 2 months out.

Hmmmm, sounds like at least 12 people had a good Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    I bought a powermatic jointer and an edge sander. They told me they had 12 1285 powermatic jointers in stock then I go to order a couple weeks later and they're 2 months out.
    I believe the only PM tool that is still manufactured in the USA is the vertical panel saw 511. Everything else is made overseas in Asia.

Powermatic normally does not sell direct to end users, so I am not sure who you are buying it from.
    My understanding from talking to one of the factory engineers in Tenn several years ago, they order them in a fix number and when they are sold out, they reorder and then they are coming from China.

So, it could be inventory reporting system for the company you bought it from had not updated it's inventory or it may reflect what was available in Tenn. at the time.

Which means at this point if it is 2 mouths out, it is most likely in China or in-route on a ship soon to be held up in a warehouse in the US awaiting Customs clearance.

Woodcraft does alot of 10% sales of Powermatic tools through out the year and you may have just had your order put in line behind a dozen other people.

Yep. The pandemic has increased demand and decreased production. I'm just now receiving a Hammer machine I ordered in July. Of course, we all want our new toys right away, but I'd never sacrifice my choice of equipment due to lead time. At least for me, these are often once in a lifetime purchases.

Same here. Hammer jointer ordered in June; they expect to deliver in about two weeks. Same issue with a Powermatic planer and a Laguna dust collector (about two months). I'm also having the same issue with some small Woodpecker tools. However, in their case, it is their "estimated" delivery time that keeps slipping.
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)

I've been trying to replace my almost-dead Milwaukee ROS with a Bosch. Been on order since September.

I often look at big box and farm stores (usually Dewalt and Milwaukee) and they don't have any ROS's in stock.

7. Pandemic always gets the blame. I don't buy it. Many companies have done fine providing items and many have not. It's not the pandemic, it's the management and mindset.

I ordered a Grizzly table saw in December and scheduled delivery is September this year.

"12 in stock" isn't a large number of anything including large tools and as folks have indicated, new supplies come in by container loads and that's via ship over the ocean which isn't a quick process. Those 12 could have been gone in just a few days or a week or so from when you first called. Nature of the business.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not only has the pandemic created a need for people to do something with their time YouTube has given them ideas.
    The used woodworking machine market in my area is very strong. But I’ve seen it get very thin with higher prices.
    I myself have a complete workshop. I still like to browse
    I think there going to be lots of great buys if we can get back to life schedules before the China virus.
    Aj

It's like that with more things than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post
    I believe the only PM tool that is still manufactured in the USA is the vertical panel saw 511. Everything else is made overseas in Asia.

Powermatic normally does not sell direct to end users, so I am not sure who you are buying it from.
    My understanding from talking to one of the factory engineers in Tenn several years ago, they order them in a fix number and when they are sold out, they reorder and then they are coming from China.

So, it could be inventory reporting system for the company you bought it from had not updated it's inventory or it may reflect what was available in Tenn. at the time.

Which means at this point if it is 2 mouths out, it is most likely in China or in-route on a ship soon to be held up in a warehouse in the US awaiting Customs clearance.

Woodcraft does alot of 10% sales of Powermatic tools through out the year and you may have just had your order put in line behind a dozen other people.
    Yeah it was a 10 percent sale or maybe 15 I can't remember. They said a lot of times the warehouse will say they have a certain number on hand, then they order it and that's not the case at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hendershott View Post
    Pandemic always gets the blame. I don't buy it. Many companies have done fine providing items and many have not. It's not the pandemic, it's the management and mindset.
    I agree. I just sat in traffic for 30 minutes trying to make it 2 miles. People went back to work a long time ago.

I ordered two tall platform ladders from some a Black Friday sale on November 13th. The price was good, with free shipping. They took my money, and I'm still waiting. I'm not in a hurry for them anyway, but who knows if, or when they will show up. A refund was offered, because of unusually slow shipping, but I'll wait for a while longer, or at least until it gets close to the Statute of Limitations on debt.

Tom , ladders were a big seller on BF. Lowe’s sold 60,000 that week.

Sorry Joe H , but the pandemic is responsible for a lot of scarcities. Demand is up , factories close temporarily, ect... especially in Asia. Even if demand was forecast , or ramped up quickly, raw materials are scarce too. Lysol doubled capacity but can’t get enough juice to fill cans and had to resort to buying capacity from competitors. And it’s still not enough.

Then there’s shipping and logistic issues. And big picture issues. Think many people give a hoot about a hobbyist jointer and sander in the grand scheme of things ?

To be sure , a lot of executives were caught flat footed , but you don’t honestly think the majority are so lazy or inept, or Machiavellian that they don’t want to deliver product to willing customers. Do you ?