Thread: Magnetic Knife Block - Anybody Made One?

Magnetic Knife Block - Anybody Made One?

I'm wanting to make The LOML a wooden magnetic knife block to be mounted near her cutting board. Have any of you made one and what magnets did you use? How thick does the wood need to be between the magnet and the surface the knife would be stuck to?

Extra points for a pic attached to your post.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis,
    They make rare earth magnets which can be mounted to wood by using forstner bits for insetting.
    They come in various strengths and thicknesses as well as diameters. You can have them flush mount or probably in your situation
    slightly inset them so no knife to steel contact--or set deeper and plug with veneer. HTH
    https://www.amazingmagnets.com/

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Blog Entries
    Be aware that sharpening particles will stick to a magnetized knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Be aware that sharpening particles will stick to a magnetized knife.
    Something I was not aware of.!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Make sure knives are not non magnetic stainless steel. You can keep an old tape head de- magnetizer handy to stop
    steel from sticking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Make sure knives are not non magnetic stainless steel. You can keep an old tape head de- magnetizer handy to stop
    steel from sticking.
    Most stainless steel is non-magneitc and wouldn't stick to a magnet. Stainless that is magnetic will stick to a magnet, but so will the sharpening swarf.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Dennis, you can use rare earth magnets and cut the pockets from the rear with your CNC machine so they are not visible. Using the CNC, you can get them very close to the front of the mounting block without the danger of poking through like with a forstner bit. Lee makes a good point...you'll want to check if your knives are magnetic compatible...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dennis, you can use rare earth magnets and cut the pockets from the rear with your CNC machine so they are not visible. Using the CNC, you can get them very close to the front of the mounting block without the danger of poking through like with a forstner bit. Lee makes a good point...you'll want to check if your knives are magnetic compatible...

If you add cups to your magnets, they double in strength, hint, hint.

Blog Entries
    Godo grief, my meat clever looks like a freshly-used murder weapon. I need to give that a bath in vinegar or something. All ya need to do is route out the back to within about 1/8” of the face and use rare earth magnets.

44121327-C10A-463B-A613-B3A12DAA6056.jpg

Ugh- my photo loaded upside-down.

Blog Entries
    Also, don’t worry about magnetizing your knife. I sharpen professionally and it is not an issue when sharpening- black stuff gets on the blade magnetized or not, and wipes off the same, magnetized or not.

If you're willing to do it with exposed magnets, there are lots of sources for magnetic strips. This is 2 strips from Harbor Freight. Plenty strong enough and they don't scratch the knives. This picture was a few years ago. There is no longer any empty space because they are so convenient.
    KR_IMG_0381rc.jpg