Thread: I didn't turn this

I didn't turn this

This was turned by a student. I only provided the lathe/shop/tools and assisted with devising the setup for holding.
    Artwork is 10"+ diameter. I had a few wide leftover 4/4 walnut slabs I sawed over 10 years ago which made the wood selection easy.

IMG_8279_es.jpg

The cloth is stretched on a hoop for embroidery and mounting in the frame. This was for a friend who divided 2020 into monthly pie sections and embroidered something significant for every day of the year!

A shallow "tenon" on a piece of plywood provided registration, held the blank with double-sided turner's tape.

Had to size carefully since the embroidery artist didn't leave much extra space around the edge.

The finish is "danish oil".

IMG_8299_es.jpg

The frame had to be thick enough to chisel out space for the hardware used to tighten the hoop.

Kristina_frame_IMG_8305.jpg

JKJ

Nicely done. I like how the edge detail puts a "wiggle" in the grain lines.

Kind of ironic to see such a detailed preservation of 2020 memories when I keep thinking how glad I am to have it in the rear view mirror. . .a reminder that all days are precious I guess.

Dave

Nicely done by your student, John. Unique and so needed for 2020!

Yes, even with such a painful year I thought the whole thing was a great idea! I was glad to help the woodturning friend create such a great frame. She said they took it with the embroidery to a hobby store to find hardware for securing and hanging and the piece got lots of attention from the store employee and customers. One woodworking gentleman wanted to hire her to make a frame for his clock - he didn't have a lathe or that set of skills. Maybe he will be inspired to check into that!

And although the embroidering friend wrote COVID in in several places on a close look her year seemed to be defined by lots of good things. Makes me want to keep a diary filled with positive things to remember.

With it being as thick as it is and as long as the notch isn't at the top you could use a keyhole bit to make a slot so you could hang it. The wife kind of bounces around and will sometimes make tattings with rings. So far she's made flowers for around the outside edge to hide the ring. While it looks fun to make I have so many other projects that I'm not sure when I would find the time to make one (which would become a bunch).

Very nice. Unique
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.