Thread: Anyone know who the maker of this iron is?

Anyone know who the maker of this iron is?

Hi all, I recently picked this plane after spotting it in one of New Englands many antique (mostly junk) stores. The readable portion of the punched makers mark on the plane (also the only mark on the plane) reads as "...........K Tool Co. Warranted Cast Steel" I have attached some pictures below. Does anyone know who the maker of the iron is? All thoughts wanted!
    Thanks!
    Aiden
    IMG_2287.jpgIMG_2285.jpgIMG_2284.jpgIMG_2286.jpgIMG_2283.jpgIMG_2282.jpg
    Last edited by Aiden Pettengill; 01-08-2021 at 2:50 PM.
    "The key to a long life is when you start to die, don't"

I've seen lists of old iron makers on line. Some have working dates, and even logos

I did a search and the closest I found was a "New York Tool Co." stamped on the body of a wooden plane with a Sundusky iron. It may be possible that they also made irons.

A lot of plane irons came from Sheffield, I can't recall seeing them with other marks but the maker's name, Sorby, Hildick, Moulson, etc. American manufactured irons have names like "Providence Tool. Co." , "Ohio Tool Co.", etc., so your iron is probably American made.

I have a Providence Tool Co. iron and the chipbreaker looks like yours.

Rafael

Hmm... Thanks for the tip. I live close to Liberty Tool owned by Skip Brack (also owns Captain Tinkam's Emporium and Hulls Cove Tool Barn as well as a museum dedicated to antique hand working tools) so I may stop over one day to see if he might be able to help.
    "The key to a long life is when you start to die, don't"