Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garage to workshop - insulation/humidity concerns - advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    It's not the dead of winter that's the problem. It's when temps are close to freezing and go back and forth at a pretty fast speed... After reading the advice of a fellow creeker I bought some magnetic sign material. I put that on the machined surfaces.
    I'm not 100% clear on what you mean. Are you saying you've covered the exposed metal surfaces with an easily removed magnetic surface that collects the moisture instead? Any links to this stuff, or even a brand name? Thanks!

I don't think it collects the moisture, it keeps the air from reaching the metal surface. The condensation would form on the outside of the magnetic sign material, which is impervious to water.

Also, lay down a sheet of 10 mil plastic over the concrete before laying down the foam insulation and/or plywood. This will really help to keep the humidity down. Made a big difference in my shop.

I don't have a link for it, I just did a search on Amazon for magnetic vinyl sign material and went from there. I just lay it down on the machined surfaces. It not only prevents moisture from getting to the surface under it but it acts like a layer of insulation. It's easy to cut. It tends to come in 24" widths so on my saw I put the seam between the two pieces centered over the miter gauge slot. As long as there's no dust on the surface it seals tight enough so I don't think moisture could get under it. It's also nice for when a tools surface gets repurposed for a work bench or someone decides to set something down on it.