Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jessum TS Stock Guide

Jessum TS Stock Guide

Would appreciate feedback from those that have this. Thanks.

Ed, I purchased a set late last year along with a VerySupercool machined aluminum extrusion to add to my older PM66 fence. Haven't done a lot of cutting with them, but so far I'm happy with the purchase. They take a bit of getting used to because on thin cuts they interfere with your push stick, but it's easy to figure out how to work around them. They definitely do a great job keeping the stock against the fence and helping preventing kick back. No regrets.

I have had them for a few years and have no regrets. They get used 90% of the rip cuts I make. Installation is straight forward and they are made of high quality materials. I remember them to be expensive but they are well made. I don’t remember having that feeling of a new accessory / gadget and wondering “why this cost so much.” It is easy to set them up and set the pressure, very straight forward.

Only drawbacks I can think of (all minor).....

- For narrow rip cuts (maybe 3” and under-ish) I find they get in the way and don’t use them. There might be a work around but I haven’t worked any into practice.

- When using a jig that goes over fence I have to take them off. This is quick, easy, and tool-less but they do have to come off.

- They make the fence heavier when it has to come off to use a large sled.

Generally, I don’t think I get any cleaner, or consistent, a cut with or without it. For me it is a safety device.

There have been several threads about these recently you may want to look for. My summary: Work great for holding stock down and to the fence. Ideal for sheet goods. Don't work well for very narrow rips (less than 2-3 inches) as they interfere with the guard. For narrower rips they can make it tricky to push stock through with a push stick, but you can push piece through with another piece, which is handy for multiples. They do increase the effort required to push stock through the saw. Very nicely made. Easy to mount to most table saw fences, although some drilling required.
    Bottom line: I would buy them again if mine broke.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

My only regret is that I didn't buy them sooner.

I like them use them for all plywood and longer rip cuts. Only regret is I lost my shelf

I have them and seldom use them except maybe for sheet goods and lots of repetitious rip cuts. They are a pain to set up, you have to lower the blade completely to set both at the same time or take the wood around the blade to set the second one. And besides a properly sized riving knife or splitter will keep the wood pressed against the fence after going thru the blade. And they are very unsafe to use on narrow pieces, say less than 3 inches wide, because there is minimal room to use a push stick. Sorry if I am sounding negative, they do work as advertised, but for me not worth the effort.
    Last edited by Bernie Kopfer; 01-08-2021 at 11:56 AM.

Sometimes a safety device becomes a hazard. These things work great, till they don't, then they create a hazard. They are easy to remove or park out of the way, which is great. I like them until they piss me off. Love / hate relationship I suppose.

Absolutely love them. One of the best safety devices in my shop, as you don't have to worry about holding the stock down or towards the fence you can then concentrate on pushing it forward. I use a long thin push stick so my hands are no where near the blade. I don't have a problem with thin stock either. I've used them for stock less than an 1" but you have to use a thin push stick that goes under the guides and you have to push horizontally provided the stock isn't too short. See image below. On thinner stock again I use a magswitch feather board on the in feed side but one of the stock guides on the out feed side just behind the riving knife. I also copied Dave Stanton's jig for mounting it to the fence as I didn't like the idea of having them permanently mounted and getting in the way of other jigs and sacrificial fences
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMYbMbTJdH0
    Would buy again in a heartbeat
    Stock guides.jpg

I have them and have them set up the same as Johnny, on a piece of plywood. I also agree with Jebediah and for less than 3" wide cuts, they are in the way, so I slide them up out of the way.

Blog Entries
    I’ve been happy with mine. I’ve set mine up similar to others with the mag switches on my Unisaw Beisemeyer fence. They provide both a nice safety aspect and improved cut precision by keeping the wood tight against the fence as advertised.
    I also am disappointed at times when they do get in the way and dealing with narrow cuts requires me to remove them. I did buy the Grrrippers and the mag switch feather board as well. With all of them I can be both safe and accurate for most any cut on my table saw and other tools as well.
    They are expensive but extremely well made. I’m on the fence if I’d buy them again if it were ever needed (which is highly unlikely given the quality). But I am glad I have them.

I’m happy with mine. Glad I purchased. They slide off and out of the way when necessary.

Woodworker's Supply sells a similar set for much less. The quality and features may be sufficient for your needs.

FWIW they are $200 at Woodcraft right now. Cheapest youll find them anywhere. LINK

Got em on my SawStop PCS and LOVE em!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I pretty much agree that I like them except for narrow rips. Cat's meow for repetitious cuts, just shove one after another through, and you don't need a push stick until the last one.

For that, I use a 3'piece of 1/2" thick baltic birch, about 3/4" wide, 'cause it is what I had laying around. The push stick needs to be long enough to push the work past the second roller.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.