Thread: Can I use a 220V tool from Europe/Asia on USA voltage?

Can I use a 220V tool from Europe/Asia on USA voltage?

I lived for 12 years in Europe and Asia, and ended up shipping home to the USA a good Makita router and a Bosch sander and jigsaw. These tools were made to work on 220V/50Hz.

Are these worthless here? Or can I wire 220V from my breaker box to power these?

Is the frequency an issue, as well as the voltage?

Our family lived in S Korea for 2 years, which has 220V/60 Hz power. Then we moved to Hong Kong, taking along a couple of kitchen appliances. These "made for S Korea" appliances worked but were slow, presumable because HK power is 220V/50Hz.

Thanks for any advice!

If the tools have universal motors (i.e. they have brushes) then they should work. If they have induction motors they may not, or will not turn at the right speed. Even universal motors could be impacted by the higher frequency, but it would speed them up. Might be a good idea to turn down the speed control, or add an after market if they don't have it.

Blog Entries
    They would probably work here, but it's best to check with the manufacturer. Electronic controls might have an issue with the 50 Hz and/or higher voltage. Some Euro equipment makers insist on using a boost transformer when connected to 208V that is common in commercial buildings here.

Blog Entries
    Tools made for 50 Hz power will run faster. You would likely have to replace the plugs as they are not standard in the US. Likewise, 60 Hz motor will run slower on 50 Hz power. I can comment on how electronics will function.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If any of them are variable speed. I'm guessing the control board will determine if the magic smoke releases or not. I'd ask Makita to be safe.

I considered a 50 Hz 220V Tormek a couple years ago, but I wondered if it would work in California, so I asked the supplier. I was told “no.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    I considered a 50 Hz 220V Tormek a couple years ago, but I wondered if it would work in California, so I asked the supplier. I was told “no.”

Tormek doesn't use a "universal" motor, so it wouldn't work.

A 50Hz induction motor will be fine at 60 Hz, the only issue is it will run 20% faster, won’t be an issue for a low speed grinder

I have a 220v belt sander and a 220v handheld planer, labeled “Ryobi” but looking like Mikita from my time in South Africa. Digression.
    I have 220 wired into my workshop because my table saw and dust collection uses 220 as well.
    Both portable tools work fine even though they are 50Hz and we cycle at 60 Hz.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Ellwood View Post
    If you want to use a European 220-240V device in North America and parts of South America, you will need to “step up*” from 110V using a transformer.
    Or you could simply supply it 240 volts, no need for a transformer.....Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    A 50Hz induction motor will be fine at 60 Hz, the only issue is it will run 20% faster, won’t be an issue for a low speed grinder
    Rod is exactly right. The 50Hz induction motor will have more iron because of the lower hertz and that's actually good for running it at 60Hz.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    If it uses an induction motor, it should work fine but it will run a bit faster. And if it uses a 'universal" motor, that should also work fine.

I suspect your supplier wanted to sell you a new unit.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.