Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New CNC build - AVID 4848Pro with GCnC Electronics

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    That is what is supplied and spec out for the Acorn controller
    Oh, I believe you. I was just surprised since shielded Ethernet is not a common thing "out there" in my 38+ years of IT and Telecom experience. The only time I ever ran into it historically was with some implementations by the Itty Bitty Machine Company. (IBM) Certainly available, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

2. Howdy Folks!

I am the Matt that Ben is referring to. I handle all the stepper based builds that GCnC (Gary) used to do under the ReZurrection brand of control boxes. So first off, congrats to Ben on his purchase; I hope it meets all his expectations and then some! I have a 4x8 Avid Pro as well and was equally pleased with the fit and finish as mentioned by Ben. As for the closed loop Acorn package, i think it's a really nice setup with Avid's 3.2:1 belt drives used on their pro kits. I really can't say enough good things about the Centroid Acorn in general, and there is a wealth of well collated videos and documents available that can answer most questions. It would seem that just like Ben, others here and elsewhere are interested in the Avid kit, but less so about the control software they choose. If anyone has any questions, feel free to send a message or post along in the thread as long as we don't hijack Ben's build log.

Matt, are the closed loop systems steppers, not servos?

4. Quote Originally Posted by richard newman View Post
    Matt, are the closed loop systems steppers, not servos?
    Yes, in this case, it is a closed loop stepper setup.

Matt, I'm very interested in an Avid Pro6060 (don't know if that's proper model number, but I'm looking at a 5'x5' setup). Actually a 5' x axis, 4' Y axis would be my ideal starter size, with the view I can extend the Y to 8' or 9'.

I would like a more detailed overview of the kit Ben bought, the advantages, software suggestions, etc..

Maybe you could start a new thread with this info.

Chris, my CNC is a 4x4 (49x41 actual cutting) and I could very much see the value of having 60" wide to work with BB as well as to further extend the size without tiling for some kinds of things. A lot of folks choose the 4' wide machines, but there's value to that extra space if your shop can support it.
    --

7. Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Matt, I'm very interested in an Avid Pro6060 (don't know if that's proper model number, but I'm looking at a 5'x5' setup). Actually a 5' x axis, 4' Y axis would be my ideal starter size, with the view I can extend the Y to 8' or 9'.

I would like a more detailed overview of the kit Ben bought, the advantages, software suggestions, etc..

Maybe you could start a new thread with this info.
    Hi Chris,

So, I want to be respectful of the rules of the forum and I believe there are more targeted areas for advertisement (given that a thread showcasing what I build may qualify as such). I'll have to look into that a bit more, but we can certainly have a private conversation if you'd like to PM me?

Thanks!

Matt, please ave a conversation with Keith Outten regarding the best way for you to highlight what you do at SMC. You can PM him directly. Thanks in advance!

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    --

Many of us would be interested, I suspect. I hope you can work it out with Keith so it can be a public conversation.

Continuing on with the build, I've run into my first head scratcher. I'm suspecting one of the parts milled by Avid was done wrong, but I'm not entirely sure yet - very well could be user error. I'm building the first legs of the gantry and attaching the bearing block plates to the vertical 80x80mm riser. There are countersinks in the block plate and you're supposed to use M8x20mm socket head fasteners to their roll in nuts.

My problem is that the fasteners bottom out inside of the 80x80 extrusion well before the plate is attached to the extrusion. There's at least 2-3mm of wiggle room. Tightening the fasteners anymore is just going to deform the extrusion.

For those following along, I'm on step 2.1.1 - Riser plate assembly in the instructions - https://www.avidcnc.com/support/inst...8/20.2/risers/ (Tightening is done in step 2.1.2.5).

I grabbed 2 pictures of the problem, one showing the obvious gap even with tight fasteners:

IMG_1959.jpg

And then a second showing the inside of the extrusion. You can see I'm already making marks due to the fasteners that are too long for this application.

IMG_1961.jpg

First thing I checked to see that I have the right fasteners and I do. They're M8x20's. Second I checked the roll in nuts and they're right as well (although I don't see how that could resolve this problem). I don't see any notes about shimming the risers and I imagine that would cause all kinds of rigidity issues.

My suspicion is that the riser plate had the counterbores for the screws drilled too deep. I've watched a bunch of videos of assembly and mine looks deeper than others - but it's really hard to tell from screen shots:

IMG_1962.jpg

Other than that - I'm not sure what else could be wrong. It's still very possibly user error.

My correction thoughts are:

Be impatient - go to ACE and get some M8x15 socket head cap screws. Avid includes 12.9 fasteners and I think my ACE has those as well (it's a great ACE).

Be impatient idea 2 - go to ACE and get washers to shim under the screw head - basically reduce the counterbore.

Wait and see what Avid says (I'm contacting them now).

Anybody see anything obvious that I'm doing wrong. Avid's not exactly the quickest to reply and they're open M-F, so I'm blocked until next weekend unless I'm doing something obviously wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grefe View Post
    Continuing on with the build, I've run into my first head scratcher. I'm suspecting one of the parts milled by Avid was done wrong, but I'm not entirely sure yet - very well could be user error. I'm building the first legs of the gantry and attaching the bearing block plates to the vertical 80x80mm riser. There are countersinks in the block plate and you're supposed to use M8x20mm socket head fasteners to their roll in nuts.

My problem is that the fasteners bottom out inside of the 80x80 extrusion well before the plate is attached to the extrusion. There's at least 2-3mm of wiggle room. Tightening the fasteners anymore is just going to deform the extrusion.

For those following along, I'm on step 2.1.1 - Riser plate assembly in the instructions - https://www.avidcnc.com/support/inst...8/20.2/risers/ (Tightening is done in step 2.1.2.5).

I grabbed 2 pictures of the problem, one showing the obvious gap even with tight fasteners:

IMG_1959.jpg

And then a second showing the inside of the extrusion. You can see I'm already making marks due to the fasteners that are too long for this application.

IMG_1961.jpg

First thing I checked to see that I have the right fasteners and I do. They're M8x20's. Second I checked the roll in nuts and they're right as well (although I don't see how that could resolve this problem). I don't see any notes about shimming the risers and I imagine that would cause all kinds of rigidity issues.

My suspicion is that the riser plate had the counterbores for the screws drilled too deep. I've watched a bunch of videos of assembly and mine looks deeper than others - but it's really hard to tell from screen shots:

IMG_1962.jpg

Other than that - I'm not sure what else could be wrong. It's still very possibly user error.

My correction thoughts are:

Be impatient - go to ACE and get some M8x15 socket head cap screws. Avid includes 12.9 fasteners and I think my ACE has those as well (it's a great ACE).

Be impatient idea 2 - go to ACE and get washers to shim under the screw head - basically reduce the counterbore.

Wait and see what Avid says (I'm contacting them now).

Anybody see anything obvious that I'm doing wrong. Avid's not exactly the quickest to reply and they're open M-F, so I'm blocked until next weekend unless I'm doing something obviously wrong.
    If the bolts are the correct length double check everything and then shorten the bolts if there is no other apparent causes or any parts being left out. You can always shorten a bolt that's to long. Before you do that though check your hardware assortment and make sure that there isn't a correct length bolt in the package. Unless the plate is thinner than it should be I don't see anything that appears to be a machining error. The counterbore might be a little deep but it looks pretty typical for a counterbore. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 01-24-2021 at 8:38 AM.

I just put a caliber to the heads of the bolts on mine and they are recessed 0.020
    633192565.jpg
    I have the extended "Z" on my machine, are you doing the extended "Z" too?
    If yes, I will send you a tip to save you trouble down the line.
    If you do not have the extended "Z", the instructions look right.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Brinkmeyer View Post
    I just put a caliber to the heads of the bolts on mine and they are recessed 0.020
    633192565.jpg
    I have the extended "Z" on my machine, are you doing the extended "Z" too?
    If yes, I will send you a tip to save you trouble down the line.
    If you do not have the extended "Z", the instructions look right.

Paul, thank you very much for measuring. Mine are nearly .100 recessed, so I think the plate itself was made wrong. Oh well, more evidence it’s not me.

What’s your advice on the extended Z? Right now I have the 8 inch riser and 8 inch Z setup, but if I’m going out to Avid I’m thinking about upgrading to the 12inch Z setup right off the bat.

It sounds like either the holes were drilled too deep or (and I'm assuming) that they just buy the extrusions from a supplier and there's a slight change to the slot. I know when I worked with aluminum storefront extrusions they always seemed to be slight changes. I think the dies would wear out and as long as the critical dimensions didn't change they didn't worry about it.

In the next step for the extended riser, they say to use a 4" long piece of 2 x 4 to set the height of the riser extrusion for the cross-member. (step 2,1.2.4)
    When I had the machine done and running I started to square the spindle up and it was off in more ways than one.
    I traced it back to the way I used the 2 x 4's to hold the riser extrusion for the cross-member up.
    So I cut 2 new spacers on my laser so they were square and the same height, then I loosened the bolts up that are in the steps related to the riser extrusion for the cross-member and squared it up to the new spacers. when I rechecked the alignment, I was so close did not have to make any spindle adjustments.