Thread: Grounding to a power outlet / screw

Grounding to a power outlet / screw

Hi all, I'm setting up my first CNC (x-carve) which comes with an conductive dust collection hose, which I've hooked up to my Bosch dust extractor (VAC090AH). The setup guide suggested connecting the grounding wire to the screw on my outlet plate, which I've done. But this feels a little hacky to me, so I wanted to ask your advice on better setups. I'm new to woodworking and know even less about electrical stuff, so any help in how to not light my house on fire would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I don't have a (metal) cold water pipe in the vicinity, although if I ran a long enough wire along the floor I could reach one. Also this is my garage and that white-painted tube running diagonally under the outlet is a gas line running to my clothes dryer -- calling that out in the name of fire safety.

One idea I'd considered is buying a "ground plug" for my outlet (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and connecting to the conductive hose with a wrist strap like this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). But again, no idea if this is safe/effective/sane.

outlet-plate.jpg

P.S. From researching this I've gotten the sense that whether or not to ground dust collection is a controversial topic in and of itself, but let's assume for this thread that I want to go ahead with it out of an abundance of caution.

Thanks!

The ground plug adapter you link to is a perfectly reasonable way to access a ground connection. You are correct that there is controversy regarding the *need* for grounding dust collection ductwork, but if you have conductive hose, there is no doubt that grounding it will reduce the likelihood of getting static shocks when you touch the hose or the metal parts of the machine.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

You can’t trust the faceplate screw. The water pipe definitely not because sections usually get repaired with plastic pipe and it’s not a “local” enough ground. The wrist strap is only for a person to wear. You need to ground the dust pipe to metal on the dust collector or the ground right where the dust collector is plugged in if the DC has a 3 prong cord that is good and properly connected to the metal on the DC unit.

Thanks. Sounds like my instinct about the faceplate screw was right. How do I know if I'm connected to the metal of the DC? It's a plastic housing, probably has some metal parts on the exterior if I were to hunt around for them.

And if I were to use the ground plug adapter, what would be better to plug in instead of the wrist strap? Should I take the existing ground wire that's already in place and connect it to a banana clip? (That's what the adapter accepts).

Sounds like your DC is a plastic shop vacuum so probably does not have a three wire cord. Use your adapter with the banana plug to that clamp on the hose as you posted.