Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who manufactures this band saw?

Who manufactures this band saw?

Hi y'all this I'm new to the forum here and have to start by saying thank you to all the contributors and moderators out there. I am not a woodworker by trade but I have ended up teaching high school woodworking and sawmill creek has been a godsend to me.

That being said I recently purchased an old, beat up band saw that I plan on restoring but I cannot make heads or tails of who the manufacturer is. I understand that it can be restored without this information but I would really like to know. At first I thought it was a Centauro but I cannot match the upper cabinet shape to any of their models. There are no badges or evidence of badges besides the one on the motor and the blade guide (stamped Jolly S 40). Let me know if y'all have any ideas. Thanks.

IMG_0564.JPGIMG_0566.JPGIMG_0567.JPGIMG_0568.JPGIMG_0570.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Rowland View Post
    Hi y'all this I'm new to the forum here and have to start by saying thank you to all the contributors and moderators out there. I am not a woodworker by trade but I have ended up teaching high school woodworking and sawmill creek has been a godsend to me.

That being said I recently purchased an old, beat up band saw that I plan on restoring but I cannot make heads or tails of who the manufacturer is. I understand that it can be restored without this information but I would really like to know. At first I thought it was a Centauro but I cannot match the upper cabinet shape to any of their models. There are no badges or evidence of badges besides the one on the motor and the blade guide (stamped Jolly S 40). Let me know if y'all have any ideas. Thanks.

IMG_0564.JPGIMG_0566.JPGIMG_0567.JPGIMG_0568.JPGIMG_0570.JPG
    Hello, I can't see pics but can say that it sounds like an ACM machine from Italy.
    Tom

My semi-educated guess: Griggio or possibly Sagittario.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Pull a nut or bolt and see if it is metric or imperial. What continent to you live on? That may narrow the choices a little. it does not look Soviet or Russian to me. I guess western European. The motor is clearly made in Italy so the entire saw is likely Italian. The switch does not look American to me, probably Europe.
    Bill D.

I have an Italian bandsaw that looks very similar to this. Mine is a Steton SN500, though I think it’s made by ACM in 1986. It’s not identical to yours, but had some striking similarities. I’ll see if I can dig up some photos of mine to post. It’s a solid saw that has cut well and been dependable for me the 3-4 years I’ve had it, though the original motor was replaced long before I got it with a 2 HP Century motor that I’d like to replace one day with a slightly bigger motor. Hope this helps.

EF156276-3968-4685-9307-DEB90D4141F4.jpg

19E8D048-1A2A-46F5-B4EA-4EDBE3E06068.jpg

343B9223-2F3B-4664-AEB6-663A46A45E43.jpg

DA5C94C7-0D1E-4DC3-9F3F-E14FE6EAB913.jpg

4A362538-7C67-4ED5-9641-1878310DF2B4.jpg

BBA66BDF-ADB8-47FB-87D1-2EB92BBE3A21.jpg

CC52262C-6E25-4E06-98FE-3D7EB5912D1E.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Still waters run deep.

Possibly Centauro?

I am not aware of any french bandsaw makes. There are some quality French made lathes and they did make nice milling machines.
    Bill D

Thanks for the replies.

I'm in the U.S.

So I checked the hardware and it is metric, I can also see that the bearings for the wheels are made in Italy.

Also I have been trying to measure the diameter of the wheel but I am finding it difficult to be accurate due to the outcropping of the bearing housing/bolt. The circumference is 61" with the tires on the saw so with the tires the diameter is 19.4" or 492.76mm. Subtracting 1/8" for the thickness of the tire on both sides of the wheel (1/16" per side) puts me near 19.25" or 489mm. Is it fair to assume the bandsaw would have been listed as having 490mm wheels?
    Last edited by Adam Rowland; 01-08-2021 at 1:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    What continent to you live on?
    Uh, he's in Denver?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Saw could also be Meber. it could be a decent all around bandsaw but won't be the greatest at resawing with high tension blades. The older 18-20" Euro machines were not beefed up to tension a carbide blade. Fimec is common in Italy and if I bought the saw the first thing I would ddo is run the motor and if it runs, change the bearings. The Fimec motors tend to run hot at 60 hz and that is hard on bearings. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Uh, he's in Denver?

When I first saw this there was no location shown. Glad he updated his info.
    Bill D.
    Modesto, ca usa

Looks like a Woodtek, which is a store brand for Woodworkers Supply. I don't know exactly, but the color is right, and I know they have some bandsaws that look sort of like that. I have several of their machines, and they are fine. I think they came out of the same Taiwanese factory as Grizzly stuff.

This looks like an Italian built saw to me.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I am not aware of any french bandsaw makes. There are some quality French made lathes and they did make nice milling machines.
    Bill D
    Lurem, Chambon/Guilliet and even Inca to name a couple French saws however the above is probably none of these. I'd say Italian but the low location of the motor is throwing me, not common with Agazzani, Meber, ACM, Centauro or Sicar. Off-chance it could be an Elektra Beckum but those always had aluminium tables and generally were smaller than the OP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Looks like a Woodtek, which is a store brand for Woodworkers Supply. I don't know exactly, but the color is right, and I know they have some bandsaws that look sort of like that. I have several of their machines, and they are fine. I think they came out of the same Taiwanese factory as Grizzly stuff.
    The odds of finding a old Taiwanese bandsaw fitted with an Italian-made FIMEC motor would be incredibly small.