Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Federal style demilune table done

Thanks all, appreciate the kind comments. Mark and Bill, too funny...we may have to work out an exchange for those dressers you’ve been building.

That is really nice. I don't have the guts to try something like that. Maybe after I retire and can devote serious time to skills improvement.

Make sure you always use a coaster
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Wow, phenomenal work. Is that ebony on the end of the legs? Curious how you attached that to the main legs.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Hi Tom, and thank you. No, it’s actually black dyed veneer...not sure the species (your basic bag of black veneer found at Woodcraft).

Here’s a previous thread that shows the process...the veneer part is post #3 in that thread:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....44#post3084044
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 01-10-2021 at 5:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Hi Tom, and thank you. No, it’s actually black dyed veneer...not sure the species (your basic bag of black veneer found at Woodcraft).

Here’s a previous thread that shows the process...the veneer part is post #3 in that thread:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....44#post3084044
    Ahhh, very cool technique for applying the veneer after the legs were tapered. I’m going to put that in the bag ‘o tricks.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Elegant and proof of craftsmanship although not my cup of tea. A great accomplishment which should have a prominent display.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Phil, I bet (I hope) you are filling a significant sense of achievement now that it is done. I remember especially your thread about veneering the top a few months ago.

Your text and pictures were good enough I could try veneering just based on your thread, but also clear enough for me to know better than to try, I would not enjoy doing that at this stage of my life.

It is a beautiful thing. Nice work.

Thanks Rob. It was a few years in the making with practice primarily on small boxes. First veneer, then stringing/banding, etc. I’ve got some real stinkers for sure. After some trial and error, a lot of videos, and a few new tools, it gets easier.

Thank you David. I absolutely understand. This was a style that was only really popular for about 30 years, and while some today may consider it timeless, in the day, it didn’t last very long! That’s what I love about the SMC project area...so many great designs that folks are making.

Thank you Scott. I’m already wondering what’s next. There is a fellow SMC’er, Mike Allen, that inspires me with every project he does. He apparently sees something he likes, and by golly he sets out to make it...even if (and perhaps for the very reason), that he’s never done it before. That’s the kind of thing that keeps me going...albeit might take months and multiple mistakes to complete!

It's STILL popular...just not affordable! Even the tickets to look at the stuff ain't cheap ! You are too modest! The next
    big style after Federal was Victorian ....who is is making "reproductions"?

And Mel, that next movement was less stringing/banding and more carving. Oh dear wood gods above, can I possibly have the where with all to start carving...

Blog Entries
    Fantastic Phil! A timeless family heirloom for sure. Great job with both classic design and exquisite execution! You're going to simile every time you see it!

Cheers, Mike

Wow, great project. I just found this thread. Congratulations!

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Phil, You are too modest. That table is priceless. I would love to see all of the posts of the work, combined with the end pictures, and posted somewhere on the site: to inspire others to try to create. The table is remarkable.