Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thick Wood Pattern Cutting

Thick Wood Pattern Cutting

I am making a credenza that will be approximately 65 inches long and twenty inches wide. The base is 5 inches high and will be made of 1.5 inch thick white oak, plain sawn. I want to make a rudimentary cloud lift pattern so that you can reach under the finished furniture. To that end I have made the pattern out of quarter inch MDF but the question is, what now. Can I cut this with a straight bit that has a half inch shank using my big Bosch 1611 router? Do I use a Sabre Saw/Jig Saw and follow Sinatra's advice of Nice and Easy Does it every time? Slice the 1.5 inch thick spanner/base in half using my band saw with a king re-saw blade and then attempt to re-glue. Or, follow Fred Astair's advice and call the whole thing off and go with a straight base.

Thanks for any advice.

Jim
    PS The reason I am going with such thick wood is that I do not want this credenza to sag.
    Last edited by James McCarthy; 01-07-2021 at 5:13 PM.

Hey Jim, I just did some pattern shaping on 3.25" thick walnut a week ago. That was on a shaper with a helical head and bearing, but i first cut very close to the line at my bandsaw. Typically, i trace my template with a sharpie, and cut to the edge of the sharpie. This should leave you with no more than 1/8" oversized than the final pattern. If you are nervous about taking the full 1.5" thickness in one pass, use a bottom bearing router bit and do the template routing in steps.

Blog Entries
    Cut close to the line with a decent jigsaw. Template route at the router table to a depth of about 3/4", remove the template and use the first cut to guide the top-bearing template bit till you run out of capcity. Flip the blank and use a bottom bearing bit to finish the profiled surface. Hope that made sense.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I am going to buy a compression router bit with a bearing and use the flip method suggested by Glenn, if needed.

Jim

originally posted by someone else, nice hat always good to wear safety gear

OWA 2_zps2yudpchh.jpg

Warren,thanks for that foto !
    I have some bearings for sale like the ones shown. Nominal 4 and 1/2 inch diameter. All slightly different size to
    get knives in precise spot in corugated shaper heads.

Years ago I made a pergola with patterned ends on the cedar 2 x 6s. I did a close cut with a sabre saw and then used a pattern bit on a hand held router. Don't remember the brand but the bit was 3/4" diameter with a 1/2" shank and just over 1 1/2" cutting length. It worked perfectly. Always better to cut your pattern in one pass without flipping if possible. There are plenty of good quality long pattern bits on the market.

Warren ,that model of safety hat was known as The Fiberglass Fedora; "suitable for church, work, card games ,and door
    to door salesmen". If I remember right.

I try to avoid straight router bits whenever possible. I use either spiral or shear bits. Much less tear out.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

CMT makes a straight bit with a 2" cutting length.

Something wrong with that picture. He's not smoking the mandatory safety cigarette.

William Ng sells this huge pattern routing bit (made by Whiteside) for exactly this kind of work. It works spectacularly well for G&G style furniture parts. It was painful to pay for, but has proved to be invaluable. The spiral cutter and large diameter leaves a near perfect finish.

As others have said, bandsaw or jigsaw close to the line, then finish it with a pattern bit. Unless, of course you want to go the route of the fellow pictured above.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Something wrong with that picture. He's not smoking the mandatory safety cigarette.
    Probably has a pack of Pall Malls or Camels w/o filters in his shirt pocket and a Zippo in his pants pocket.

Great photo Warren! But where are the two foot long push sticks?

Shirt with a collar is good. Couldnt find him smoking but found his doctor and then his president.

3.jpg 7A.jpg