Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This amazing piece of mahogany!!!

Blog Entries

This amazing piece of mahogany!!!

I always tell folks that God hides a masterpiece in every tree, and it is my job to find it. This is one of the greatest yet. This was in a bundle of 800 bft of rough sawn mahogany. It’s like Christmas whenever I get one because I never know what will be under that rough surface. Guys, this thing literally looks like it is on fire. I am likely going to make it an accent stripe in a table flanked with maple and maybe some Peruvian Walnit.

I can’t stop looking at it. In “real life” it glows and appears to move like a flame when you change your angle of view.

CC270000-740A-4C54-936A-531FF227E4E1.jpg

Blog Entries
    Another shot. Other side.
    FD825F34-73A1-4021-841C-65F21B430062.jpg

Unique and beautiful! Will make a gorgeous table.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

That's truly a special piece of wood. There are some who would immediately say "yuck" because its' so different, but as you say, our job as craftspeople and creators is to make that wood into what it chooses to be. Nakashima's "Soul of a Tree" book certainly reinforced that for me...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nothing will ever hold a candle to the flame in this figure.

Most of the pack looks pretty good, quite a bit of ribbon in most boards. Agreed, i like digging through a new pack of lumber and seeing what surprises may be in store. I once ordered 1500 feet of 8/4 1com walnut for $3.50/bdft or something around there and they were all 18-22" wide boards that were 11-12' long. Almost no sap, it was one of the craziest orders ive received. I ended up flipping most of the pack for double the price--the boards were too big and too heavy for me to practically handle by myself.

Ba-da rim shot!

Absolutely stunning! Looks like you won the lumber lottery!

Better take a knife and cut into it. Could just be some conservative faux painting !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Most of the pack looks pretty good, quite a bit of ribbon in most boards. Agreed, i like digging through a new pack of lumber and seeing what surprises may be in store. I once ordered 1500 feet of 8/4 1com walnut for $3.50/bdft or something around there and they were all 18-22" wide boards that were 11-12' long. Almost no sap, it was one of the craziest orders ive received. I ended up flipping most of the pack for double the price--the boards were too big and too heavy for me to practically handle by myself.
    I won’t tell where I got this, not to be stingy, but because I get a good deal and am under a non-disclosure, but I paid $3.60 a board foot for this bundle. There are many more figured, but this one stood out. Most of the boards below it were from the same log- in fact, I think you will see two book-matched in the photo. There are two more stacks of this not shown and much of those stacks are also ribbon stripe. The last bundle made some amazing doors. These will be doors and tables mostly.

Dude, that just aint fair. Wow. Just Wow!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

wow - that is amazing. I love seening what is under the rough sawn after jointing and plaining a board.

Looks like Sapele, Beautiful,

Yep, that's a good one! Share the finished pics please!

It’s very nice but it doesn’t look like Mahogany to me.
    Aj