Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 54 of 54

Thread: New solid body electric guitar

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wayland, MA
    Posts
    2,584
    Second time out of the clamps itís got a slight back bow that the strings will flatten out and the propeller twist is gone! Hooray! Hope it stays that way!

    No way to post pictures from a phone I guess?

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    2,995
    Very happy to hear itís behaving now. Looking forward to the updates.

  3. #48
    Good to hear you persevered and have it under control.
    Thanks,
    Fred

  4. #49
    I have learned a lot from this thread, Roger. Thanks. We are the problems overcome.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wayland, MA
    Posts
    2,584
    IMG_2960.jpg

    So here we are, recovered back to where I was ten days ago. I still have no sensible explanation for why the neck bowed and twisted when I first glued the fretboard on, but I know what I would try differently in the future-- primarily gluing it using cauls and a flat reference surface.

    IMG_2952.jpg

    It turned out to be surprisingly (distressingly?) easy to remove the fretboard. I used this cool neck heater from LMI and a temperature controller I already had in anticipation of building a mini-kiln. I guess I already posed pictures of that.

    I was over-optimistic in my early appraisal that that neck had emerged, "dead flat". It wasn't, by a long shot. The bow was mostly gone, but the twist was still there, big time. By carefully and selectively planing the surface I knocked down the high spots. Because the neck was already shaped to near-final dimensions, and there's very little excess under the truss rod I did not have the freedom to simply take away wood until it was flat. I chose to glue a piece of black veneer onto the low side of the neck to bring it up to the point where I could flatten that region without taking off significant material from the original neck. It will look like the fingerboard varies slightly in thickness when it's done, but that seemed better than trashing it. If you measure carefully the peghead is slightly twisted (maybe 1 degree?) from the fretboard. I don't think it will be noticeable without applying winding sticks. So it ends up a little bit of a kludge, but, so far, a seemingly successful rescue.

    Fretting is next up on the agenda, along with the final refinement of any curves that need it and finish sanding of the body and neck.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wayland, MA
    Posts
    2,584
    In between building crown molding for our kitchen cabinets I did a step that feels like real progress, installing the frets. I got this nifty device with a grooved wheel that bends the fretwire to a perfect radius, and then a caul with different radius inserts to press the wire in place using my drill press. Boy, I love having the right tools for the job. Couldn't believe how quickly and easily the job went!

    IMG_2968.jpeg

    Really looking like a guitar now!

    IMG_2972.jpg

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    56,671
    I use a similar fret press in my DP. If I ever got to doing this a lot, I'd buy an inexpensive arbor press and convert it to use the same caul system.

    That instrument is a work of art!
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wayland, MA
    Posts
    2,584
    Closing in on the end of the build! The finish is on, I have to go back and touch up a couple of small sags but it is about time to wire it up, install the hardware, and find out whether it works! The finish was a couple light coats of dewaxed shellac to help pop the figure, Target EM1000 sealer, followed by three coats of EM8000cv conversion varnish with crosslinker in the last coat. I didn't use a grain filler, which may, in retrospect have been a mistake, OTOH, it looks like wood, not plastic laminate. Given what a newbie I am at spray finishing it came out pretty well. It was my first project using my new small QS-125 touch up spray gun from Homestead Finishing, I was really pleased with the way it behaves. It seems perfect for small projects, I'm looking forward to trying it on some of my turned pieces. There was some confusion and the PPS system I ordered for it was delayed; I re-learned why I like the PPS so much better than a cup! I do have some areas where the finish is slightly grainy, perhaps overspray, or maybe just too light a coat. Anyone familiar with this finish ever buff it out?

    Spraying a complicated 3d object is definitely more challenging than flat surfaces!

    I hung the guitar from the rafters to allow me to spray all sides.
    63959634801__D649D74D-6239-48F8-9498-A4BE7A6BBEC6.jpeg


    I've got cocobolo pickup rings; plastic seemed wildly inappropriate.
    63975789861__1E1B1AEE-55F5-4F5D-AF01-5203B05F104C.jpg

    Need to get better pictures once it's done!
    IMG_3075.jpg

  9. #54
    Beautiful work, Roger, just beautiful!!

    David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •