Thread: Safely Transporting a Hammer A3-31 on a trailer

Safely Transporting a Hammer A3-31 on a trailer

I've put down a deposit on a used Hammer a3-31, and will be picking it up in a couple of days.

Pretty sure we have loading and unloading figured out.

I will be transporting it on an open utility trailer, about 130 miles. The seller has bolted it back onto the "industrial thick plywood with C channels underneath" that it had when he bought it. I plan on screwing that to my wooden trailer decking, plus some straps that won't put any pressure on the tables.

Should I consider removing the jointer tables for the move? Are they going to be getting beat up when I hit potholes?

Anything else I might want to consider doing for a such an equipment move?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Rice View Post
    I've put down a deposit on a used Hammer a3-31, and will be picking it up in a couple of days.

Pretty sure we have loading and unloading figured out.

I will be transporting it on an open utility trailer, about 130 miles. The seller has bolted it back onto the "industrial thick plywood with C channels underneath" that it had when he bought it. I plan on screwing that to my wooden trailer decking, plus some straps that won't put any pressure on the tables.

Should I consider removing the jointer tables for the move? Are they going to be getting beat up when I hit potholes?

Anything else I might want to consider doing for a such an equipment move?

Thank you.
    Are you sure those C channels aren't metal? When I got my A3-31 back in 2016 it was screwed to a ~1" thick pallet that had metal C channels under it (I still have the channels!). I'm assuming the current owner has used the brackets that were originally on the A3 to screw it down to that plywood. If that's the case, you really only need to secure the entire pallet to your trailer, although I'm not sure how you might do that.

As for the straps, perhaps you could put those through the planer opening area (i.e. under the planer table), although on the infeed side they might interfere with the table height locking mechanism. The A3 manual says you can transport it via a crane (i.e. hoist), but it doesn't say how! It only says to not lift it by the tables.

I would not remove the tables if you don't have to, especially if they are already correctly calibrated.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

A long as the tables are locked in place, in jointer position, I think they will be fine.

Someone correct me on this, but I don't think there were any OEM packing inserts, on the tables, for initial shipping from Felder.

No way would I remove the tables. Fastening to your trailer deck is a good idea if you have a wood deck. It still needs to be held down by strapping and putting those over the machine top over the cabinet should suffice. Use some 4x4 or other material on top of the tables at that point (I assume you're tarping it for obvious reasons) so that the strap edges are not directly on the tables. Do not strap over the tables beyond the cabinet for sure. You should use the wide, heavy duty ratchet straps, too, not the thin, light duty versions for this kind of application. Put some additional straps to the cabinet from the front and from the rear to add additional support from movement.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    A long as the tables are locked in place, in jointer position, I think they will be fine.

Someone correct me on this, but I don't think there were any OEM packing inserts, on the tables, for initial shipping from Felder.
    You mean like something there to keep the tables in place? Not that I can remember on mine, no.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I've not moved a lot of machines, but when i do i like to lower the motor onto heavy styrofoam (like pink insulation sheets) to cushion it's weight. Smooth roads are not really smooth once you get outside the passenger compartment.
    earl

if you watch my thread I'll add some pics of how the factory secured everything:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-A3-41-arrived

Ryan, I had a quick look through my user manual and did not see an special shipping brackets or pieces, referenced, other than the four corner pieces that hold it to the pallet.

I can email you the .pdf manual is you send me your email address to caedwards874 at gmail.com

Here's the one-pager I got:

IMG_5927.jpg

I appreciate all the input! The move is done without any problems...although I need to check table alignment and get it all setup. Its a heavy beast for sure. The seller had it on the original plywood sheet, but was using 3 wood stringers with angles ends (like shed runners) instead of the C-channel, which made it easier to slide onto, then back off my trailer. I screwed it to the deck of my trailer, and boxed in the base on all sides with screwed on 2x4 strips, plus moving blankets, and a bunch of strategically placed straps.

It might take my some time before I get it all setup, situated, and plumbed in, but I'm looking forward to using it. It came with 2 extensions, and 3 extension rails, as well as the analog planer crank, that displays in thousands of an inch, plus 2 spare sets of new blades.