Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust bin sensor to power down collector

This is a common problem that makers of refrigerators have tried to solve in many ways. My whirlpool has an arm that lifts to shut off the ice maker when the tub is full. It can get buried under the ice and not lift. I understand Sam sung uses an electric eye that gets frosted over and shuts things down.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Malcolm, my design incorporates a 10 second time delay to avoid nuisance trips.

I did have my detector shut down the cyclone however that resulted in plug up of all plug ups in my planer. Now I only use the flashing beacon, since the bin sensor triggers about 10cm before full it gives me lots of time to complete what I’m doing......Regards, Rod.
    My current thought is to use 1 level sensor with the typical NO (open) contact to drive 2 timers:
    • Timer 1 would have a 5 to 10 second ON-delay, to debounce the output to a light/buzzer indicator (exactly like bin-level sticky thread here outlines).
      • this timer's NO relay contact would drive the indicator.

• Timer 2 would have a 60 to 300 (-ish) second delay, to debounce the stop circuit feeding the DC's VFD.
      • this timer's NC relay contact would drive the VFD 'Stop'.

It would also be easy to set up 2 sensors - either each installed at different heights, or at the same height but set for different trigger distances - 1st as a high level alarm (warning to the operator); 2nd as a high-high level alarm (automated 'kill' of the DC). As has been pointed out tho', you would still probably want a debounce timer for each to eliminate nuisance trips. Basically building 2 of the sticky thread systems. This also gives you some redundancy should one fail.

Many users will have different work routines that impact this process. If you perform lots of small, short-duration tasks, high-cycle rates between tools, frequently moving around your shop, then it seems to me a simple buzzer/light would probably be ample. If you get head-down, back turned, noisy, etc, ...say on a planer hogging through 1500 bdf of lumber, then maybe at a certain point you give up on warnings, and so protect your filters by killing the DC blower. In a home shop if you can over-fill the drum and the filters, its not much more of a stretch to fill the cyclone, ducting, AND tool.

I share my shop with my dad and I worry he could be intent on a task, back to the light, and overfill the DC. (20yrs of jet engines has wrecked his hearing, so buzzer is useless.) As for me, I'm horrible at remembering to check the drum before I start an operation. I've considered options of multiple alarm lights scattered around the shop, effort to clean a plugged tool, cleaning ducts, and cleaning DC filters. Cleaning filters IS my worst case - DAMHIKT.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 01-17-2021 at 12:49 PM.

I considered adding a second sensor, but ended up going the easy route first and adding a bunch more strobes. So far that is working for me. With strobes spread around the machine area, I've notice that I tend to notice the reflection of a strobe on the machine even if I'm not glancing up to look directly at a strobe. One of my strobes has a magnetic base (the kind you see the TV cops sticking to the top of the car for chase scenes). With a long-ish cable to it, I can stick it to whatever machine I'm running so it is impossible to miss. But as a practical matter, the only large volume chip producer I run for long periods is the jointer/planer, so the magnetic base light so far just sits by that.

If I was going to add a second sensor with a delay to shut down the collector, I'd be inclined to use a split emitter/detector sensor across the bottom end of the flex hose between the drum and the cyclone. You'd want a fairly short delay, just long enough to avoid false trips from individual chips blocking the beam path, because once your bin is full to that point, you don't have much time to stop if you're planing.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

2 sensors will be the typical setup especially since the dust loading to collector is not always the same. For example 60s of tablesaw dust is usually a lot less volume than 60s at the planer.

Or, just turn off the collector with one sensor. Use a window in the bin if possible or check it regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    2 sensors will be the typical setup especially since the dust loading to collector is not always the same. For example 60s of tablesaw dust is usually a lot less volume than 60s at the planer.

Or, just turn off the collector with one sensor. Use a window in the bin if possible or check it regularly?
    I think a lot of folks put their DC in a closet or attached shed - rather than 'in' the shop. Makes some sort of remote monitoring and/or auto-cutoff almost a must have. Or track shoes.

To extend the life of relays, add capacitors or diodes across the coil. This reduces surge current, prevents arcing and the carbon build associated therewith. Makes a world of a difference to long term reliability.