Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Improved Side Clamping Honing Guide?

Bob, Jim K. needs 2 5/8”.

Left click my name for homepage link.

John, quite right. My typo! I meant to write 2-5/8. My largest is No. 7, so I had 2-3/8 on the mind as I typed.

I knew Jim was asking about the No. 8 iron (and I knew he was referring to other makes than the Eclipse with his 2-1/2" comment). I just knew the Eclipse can fit a No. 8, and I suspect Jim knows that, too. For others, here's my Eclipse:

Eclipse 36 wide open.jpg

The original and best. For those of use who need the crutch. Like me.

Lots of talk lately about how honing with a guide is child's play, but I really enjoy using it every time for the precise repeatability it provides. For me, this goes beyond the inner satisfaction of merely being anal (I admit to that). And it's not just a surrender to a lack of skill (guilty as charged there as well). I don't actually want to hone and polish by hand, especially when I can reap the most important benefit of the guide: I believe the precision allows me to hone off only the smallest necessary 33º sliver on the 800 grit before going to 35º polish on the 8000. I'll be long gone before I grind down my irons beyond further use. To each his own. I'll forgo the manly pursuit of honing by feel.

For some of us it's a hobby, remember?
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 01-09-2021 at 12:51 AM.

Side clamping Guide....

Hi -

Our new guides (there are two) are running through the shop right now, and I would expect them to be available end-February. The side clamping guide is one we developed several years ago, and just didn't produce (Though we did make a pre-production run).

I have managed to find an image from some recent testing - but not sure these are all production parts... (these are two of the same guide - not both new guides!)

Honing guide.jpg

Pricing is not completed yet (we haven't finished the first run, so are still working with cost estimates) but my target is certainly less than $50....

Cheers -

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Lee; 01-10-2021 at 1:27 PM.

Rob, interesting clamping with one side applying pressure between the bearing points of the other side. I am trying to think through - will this accommodate a tapered blade shaft? Seems like it would cant the chisel.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Hi John....

Short answer is - depends.

You cant see the jaw shape here - but one side is squared to the shaft - the other side tapered - so it could hold a tapered blade. The design is to have two "registration jaws" and one "holding jaw". The jaw shape is designed to register against the back of the blade - with three point clamping on the side - like a three finger grip (actually thumb, index, and middle finger). The single jaw is the opposable thumb - the double jaw is the fingers....

I should be able to find a jaw profile....

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Lee; 01-11-2021 at 1:16 PM.

Jaws

Here we go....

Jaws.JPG

Cheers -

Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Bob, Jim K. needs 2 5/8”.
    Thanks John, the reality of it is a honing guide isn't needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    [edited]
    I should be able to find a jaw profile....

Rob
    Hi Rob, thanks for the images on this new guide.

My only question is how thick of a chisel will this hold?

Some chisels for mortising can get rather thick:

Square Check.jpg

Making a universal honing guide is likely darn near impossible.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    FYI, There is an Eclipse 36 honing guide on ebay at the moment. I found one after watching ebay for a couple months, and it's great. Much better than the 2 imitations I have. Current bid is 25 bucks. I bought mine for 30.
    Sold yesterday for 40 bucks
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Thanks John, the reality of it is a honing guide isn't needed.

Hi Rob, thanks for the images on this new guide.

My only question is how thick of a chisel will this hold?

Some chisels for mortising can get rather thick:

Square Check.jpg

Making a universal honing guide is likely darn near impossible.

jtk
    Hi Jim -

You've sure got that right - there is no universal jig - just as there's no standard blade geometry.

Maximum blade thickness for our side clamp guide is .45" (max width is 2.5", Min width is .0625").

Cheers -

Rob

Blog Entries
    Hi Jim -

You've sure got that right - there is no universal jig - just as there's no standard blade geometry.

Maximum blade thickness for our side clamp guide is .45" (max width is 2.5", Min width is .0625").

Cheers -

Rob
    Thanks for the information Rob.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Rob. Look forward to the release. Getting pretty good at free hand, but 1/4” or less could really use some guide help.

Hi -

The new guides are now posted on the website. Not navigated yet - so you have to search for them (will be easier to find next week).

You can see some info here (US site) https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/tool...pening-by-hand

Cheers -

Rob

Hi -

The new guides are now posted on the website. Not navigated yet - so you have to search for them (will be easier to find next week).

You can see some info here (US site) https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/tool...pening-by-hand

Cheers -

Rob
    Thanks for the heads-up, Rob. Ordered and threw in a couple of items from my wish list for good measure.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Just ordered the new LV. Been using an eclipse 36 forever and it does a good job, especially after some file work. One thing I hate is that you can’t really hand tighten it adequately. That’s the selling point of the LV and LN for me. I’m assuming this new one, like the LN, can use the same registration board gauges for both chisels and irons.

The short-blade guide looks intriguing for spokeshave blades like for the Stanley 151. I cobbled together a wooden holder to fit into my Eclipse, and it's OK, but the sleek aluminum Lee Valley tool –– as usual –– looks far more elegant and easy to set up.

Can we get a little respect for innovation in the midst of a pandemic? Long live Lee Valley.