Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Improved Side Clamping Honing Guide?

I've been playing with the pre-production versions for a while (actually, began using the Eclipse-type about 5 or 6 years ago).

The short-blade guide is very useful for small spokeshave blades. In this picture is the blade from a Stanley#84 .... which is about the narrowest blade I could find. If it can do this, then it can work with any spokeshave blade!

How about a skew blade from a side rebate plane?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I was glad to hear about the new LV guides here. I don't do much shopping for tools.

I have a couple of original Eclipse guides. One I bought new, in the early '70's, and another sometime later for a reason I forget.

Both the side clamping, and short blade guide ordered, just now.

edited to add: I'll still use my own setting guides. Quicker, less fumbly, and the same regardless of blade thickness.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-12-2021 at 7:06 PM.

Rob,
    Will this guide work with vintage tapered plane irons?
    Rafael

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    Rob,
    Rafael
    Hi Rafael!

Sure - go right to worst case......

Short answer is - I'm not sure. The short blade guide will certainly handle just about anything one can throw at it - but only for angles of 30 degrees or less. However, as it holds so close to the bevel, it can become unwieldy with long tools. It's also a bit more finicky to set up....but really grows on you in use. It really does excel at short/odd blades.

The side clamp guide uses three point clamping - but also assumes parallel sides (along the length of the blade). The two jaw side establishes orientation while the third jaw applies the holding force. You'll note that the lower set of jaws has tapered faces - to push the blade up against a registration feature on the two jaw side. In theory - it should work on a tapered blade with parallel edges......but it will depend on the overall geometry of the blade.

The best choice for a tapered blade would be the MKII - which clamps on top and bottom surfaces - and does not use the sides for reference - only the blade back.

I have not personally tried a tapered plane blade with the side clamping guide - but will get it tested. As I continue to work from home - I don't have immediate access to a tapered blade, it may take me a day or two....

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    Rob,
    Rafael
    Hi Raphael

Since Rob cannot get to work to check this out, here are photos of the side clamping guide.

Most importantly for you, there is no issue with a tapered plane blade ...

A 3/16" thick Veritas BU plane blade, high position ...

... and low position ...

And perfectly square (this is taken with my phone and gives it a skew look) ...

3/16" thick LN #3 blade ...

1" wide chisel (but think also of a plough blade, and other similar dimensions) ...

A short block plane blade in the lower position ...

Perfectly square ...

There are two blades I do not recommend for this guide. The first is a short Japanese chisel blade. There is not enough length to achieve an extension for a 30 degree bevel angle. This is duplicated in the second example, a Veritas block plane blade, which does not have the extension owing to the tapered rear ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

As someone with experience with both I believe, is there a reason for me to add this side clamping guide to my collection if I have the Mark II with the narrow blade attachment?

I kind of want this side clamping guide, but how do I explain to the boss/wife that I bought another honing guide?

Thanks,
    Gary

Smile

If only I had Derek's resources......sigh.

Gary, the Mark II with narrow blade attachment excels with chisels and other small, parallel-sided blades. It is the one to go-to in this regard.

But runs into the same issues with a rear-tapered or non-parallel sided blade as the side-clamping guide ...

The answer here is to use a top-clamping guide, such as the Veritas Mk I and II.

So where does a side-clamping guide offer you anything? I will use one with parallel-sided BU blades. When used together with a shop made projection jig (for the bevel angle), it results in a far faster set up that the top clamping guide. The small blade accessory is also designed for narrow blades, and the side clamping guide can easily manage double the blade width ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nice clarification

thanks Derek

Derek,

You convinced me. Order placed.

Thanks,
    Gary

In the mail today was a nice, dedicated catalog from Lee Valley, just on "Sharpening by Hand". I had already ordered the two guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    In the mail today was a nice, dedicated catalog from Lee Valley, just on "Sharpening by Hand". I had already ordered the two guides.
    Same here!

Make that me three! Hopefully, they are good with production for the first wave of people buying the guides. And the catalog or reader is also very informative.

Kevin

14. Does the new side clamping jig accept mortise chisels? It looks like the jaws would be deep enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hartlin View Post
    Does the new side clamping jig accept mortise chisels? It looks like the jaws would be deep enough.
    Hi Matthew -

I'm going to say no. For mortise chisels with tapered sides, registration is uncertain....

Rob