Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Unisaw replacement motor

Delta Unisaw replacement motor

IMG_7772[407].jpgI acquired a Delta Unisaw for a bargain....only to find out it has a three phase motor on it. I would like to switch it out with a single phase motor right around the 2-3 horsepower mark. I have seen Leeson motors but I am somewhat concerned about the brackets.
    Are the brackets universal?
    If I purchase a smaller motor, will the horsepower be enough?
    Here is the tag off of the old motor, if that helps anybody.
    Please advise
    Thanks

No sure what you mean by "universal". Unisaw motors have a unique to them bracket, Leeson makes a motor for Unisaws as does Baldor. Grizzly has a motor as well that while not made specifically for Unisaws was made for a clone of a Uni and works fine. It very well may be cheaper to get a VFD to run your saw. Others here on the forum will be able to help with that. As for h.p. I have no idea of what you intend to do with the saw,personally I would stick with 3hp.

That tag makes no sense to me. It says 1/2 horsepower but 12.6 amps at 208 volts. that sounds more like one horse power or more.
    You could use a VFD to drive that motor for under $100. The unisaw mount is custom lugs welded onto a standard motor so hard to find. You can adapt a standard foot mount. motor by making some custom brackets out of big angle iron and some flat plate. I think you lose 3/8" or so of cuting height.
    Bill D

Bill--that is a 5 hp motor. There is a dot-shaped stain or mark in front of the 5, so i could see where you'd think 1/2 hp.
    earl

by "universal" I mean are the brackets on the Leeson motors compatible with the original brackets on the Delta motor.

Yes, it is a "stain" or "mark"

Where are you located? I have a 3hp single phase that I would be willing to part with... it would be heavy to ship

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Scherf View Post
    by "universal" I mean are the brackets on the Leeson motors compatible with the original brackets on the Delta motor.
    If it is a Leeson Delta Unisaw motor the bracket will fit. I don't think there is another similar mount. A unisaw mount is far from what I would call "universal".
    https://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/LEESON-UNISAW/

I would get a 3HP VFD and run it with that. You will only develop 3 hp but that is more then enough. A 5hp VFD may cost more then a 3Hp single phase motor.
    Bil lD

Check the arbor bearings while you are in there.
    Bil lD

Southeast of Toledo
    Graytown, Ohio

Ok great, that’s what I wanted to hear. Thank you

You could go with a standard frame motor, salvage the brackets off existing motor and weld them on new motor. Takes a little work, but it has been done. On my old computer, I had book marked making a custom bracket to adapt a standard motor to a Unisaw.

I made this change and went to a 4hp Leeson - because I could. The length of the Lesson is slightly longer than the 3 hp, 3 phase Delta motor which limits the arbor tilt at full blade extension as the motor hits the cabinet. If you don't need full depth at max tilt, it works fine.

OBTW, the 3 phase Delta motor was packed with sawdust with signs of scorching. If you plan on using a vfd, I suggest opening the motor and check the condition inside.

I've since sold the saw due to relocation and am about to start shopping for a replacement. Sliders are appealing.

Can you PM me. I will be driving thru the area in the near future and could bring it with me. I will give more details then in a PM or via email