Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta Unisaw replacement motor

Ok...new to this site....how do I PM or email you

not sure - you may need to have more posts - can you provide an email? We are moving over the next months to west Michigan and will be going by in the next few weeks... I would like to send some pictures to ensure this is the correct motor and fits your needs.

Email sent

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I would get a 3HP VFD and run it with that. You will only develop 3 hp but that is more then enough. A 5hp VFD may cost more then a 3Hp single phase motor.
    Bil lD
    This. I ran a 3 phase 5 HP Delta 12/14 cabinet saw with 3HP VFD for many years with no problems. I only had one overcurrent trip, when ripping a thick microlam with a combo blade.

If the other motor falls through on OWWM there is a bracket design you can build to adapt standard frame motors to a uni. I have one and it works just fine.

The bracket I made uses no welding. It uses two pieces of big angle iron like 4 or 6 inch angle about 10 inches long and a flat metal plate big enough to fit the foot mount holes.
    The picture is from the internet. I think it is the same as the link catalog item. It is very similar to mine. I had to hack out some clearance on parts of the web that stick way from the motor.
    Bill D.

https://www.renovoparts.com/43-802-m...-tilt-unisaws/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-08-2021 at 3:55 PM.

If you go with a standard frame motor and make a mount, make sure you get a motor with the right shaft size. I think the Uni has an oddball shaft of 3/4" vs 7/8" for a 3hp standard motor.

Now I have a motor, the next thing is a switch. The previous motor was a 3 phase 5hp motor with a starter panel and a switch. I now have a single phase 3hp motor. Can I just buy a simple switch to run it, or is there a way to use my three phase switch and starter?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Scherf View Post
    Now I have a motor, the next thing is a switch. The previous motor was a 3 phase 5hp motor with a starter panel and a switch. I now have a single phase 3hp motor. Can I just buy a simple switch to run it, or is there a way to use my three phase switch and starter?
    should be able to use what you have post pictures and will try to help
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Scherf View Post
    It can be done but may require replacement of the heaters. Link
    AFAIK if your starter has a coil, it may not be able to be adapted.

I don't recommend using a standard dual-pole switch as you need the starter to protect both you and the motor
    Last edited by Marc Fenneuff; 01-30-2021 at 11:08 AM.