Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite finds / tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Galey View Post
    Spofford brace that I bought for $1.00 at a flea market in Rogers, AR.
    Attachment 449033
    You win. "Uppa Heya" those are considered significant antiquities and cost more than Gas Station coffee.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    You win. "Uppa Heya" those are considered significant antiquities and cost more than Gas Station coffee.
    The likely also taste better than Gas Station coffee.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    I have one similar but haven't been able to master adjusting it yet. Ones side is always to high or low.

Hi Michael, This might be a good subject for a separate post.

Here is an old post of mine that my provide some food for thought > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153938

Many of my spokeshaves have benefitted from a little fettling.

Also use a light touch with a plane hammer/mallet:

Plane Tapper hammer mallet.jpg

Tap on the blade to advance or the handle to withdraw.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The likely also taste better than Gas Station coffee.

jtk
    I keep telling my wife that "Old iron" tastes best, but she won't bite. ;/

Originally Posted by Jim Matthews

Ayah, those ah some wicked good tools! In all seriousness its a nice find! Here in New England its ridiculous how many planes and braces you'll find in antique stores.
    Last edited by Aiden Pettengill; 01-09-2021 at 4:21 PM.
    "The key to a long life is when you start to die, don't"

My favorite "find'? A #2 handplane I found for $15 in an antique booth.
    20210109_161816.jpg

The story..... Several years ago I decided I could make use of a #2 hand plane. I had finally decided to just drop the coin for the LN #2. But right before I did, I stumbled onto a small handplane that was dirty and completely painted in gloss black - it must have been a "decoration" somewhere. After cleaning it up, she's a sweet little plane.

My "favorite" tool? Gotta be my LV Shooting Plane. That was really money well spent.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    My favorite "find'? A #2 handplane I found for $15 in an antique booth.
    That is a find worthy of a gloat or two.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That is a find worthy of a gloat or two.

jtk
    Most definitely! I'm jealous.
    "The key to a long life is when you start to die, don't"

My most prized local rust hunt finds are quality old squares and measuring tools. I managed to find a few Starrett and Brown and Sharpe units, which are wonderful.

Unfortunately, this area is difficult for woodworking hand tools. My woodworking tool rust hunts strike out 95% of the time, but the successes are honest to goodness successes. While they needed some work, my old Moulson Brothers and Rob't Sorby cast steel chisels proved that antique tools could in fact be quality units, and sparked my search. I was eventually able to connect with some quality old units, but the failure rate is still over 50% for a host of various reasons (excess pitting, bent/warped, badly chipped, far too short already, and having to take the bad to get the good....).

Buying modern success is now much easier, and the prices of the old, quality stuff keeps rising, such that you'll easily pay more for a set of cast steel octagon-bolster bevel edge bench chisels than you will for a new set of Two Cherries or Ashley Iles bench chisels.

But, thus is life. The old stuff is now pushing over 100 years old... and that means every year, more are "Lost to the moth and rust."