Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jessem vs Woodpecker Router Table Lift

Jessem vs Woodpecker Router Table Lift

I am considering an router table upgrade from my old basic rockler. I have been looking at Woodpecker's router lift/table for years and never pulled the trigger, but I am a bit turned off by their shipping costs. So I also started looking at JessEm's Mast-R-Lift with the Master-R-Fence 3. Ironically, pricing them out, the Woodpecker is $18 cheaper for the table, lift, fence and insert pack. However ordering direct from JessEm, they are not tagging on any shipping costs or even tax, saving me about $130 for the same 'parts' from Woodpecker.

So - i'd like to hear from anyone who's used either one of these systems but more important, someone who might have used both and which one you like better and why.

Justin — I have the woodpeckers set-up. I really like the large phenolic table and the superfence with the micro-adjust is great. I will say I don’t love the PRL lift, as I find the height adjustment to be cumbersome and would prefer the Jessem crank style system.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

JessEm Mast-R-Lift II is a dream to adjust. There are marks for each 0.002”, but there is enough distance between the marks that I can easily, reproducibly make bit-height adjustments of 0.001”. I have used this ability when that level of precision mattered. This lift has elevated my router to the precision level of my hand planes. Does this help?

I can't comment on the rest of the system, because I use a router installed in my table saw right hand wing, but I wouldn't trade my Mast-R-Lift. It was easy to install, works well and the lifting mechanism accurate and repeatable.

I agree with Lisa on my Mast-R-Lift--very nice. I have the Incra version which is the same lift but with the MagnaLock rings. I added a set of the Clean Sweep rings--which i use most of the time for very good dust collection, but still use the non-slotted rings on some cuts. Easy swapping those rings.
    earl

I have the Jessem table and lift. I've had the Bosch 1617 mounted in it for awhile. I haven't had any problems. I'm not someone who uses it a ton, but it's always a joy to use.

My initial router table was the Woodpecker's with the PRL-2 lift. I like the table and the fence micro adjust, but the PRL-2 is okay.

I also have a Jessum Master-Lift-2 in the right end of my sawstop.

Of the two different lifts, if having to buy another, I would pick the Jessum.

Both work well, but the quick up/down of the Woodpeckers is not a super smooth operation unless you are constantly cleaning the tubes the lift rides on. On the WP, i've also had the fine adjust mechanism fail, it uses nylon gears, and had to send it back to WP for (free) repair, it cost be shipping one way, but was gone for 5 weeks, and that was prior to Covid. I had that small fine adjust gearbox apart to determine the problem, but WP would not send me a couple of replacement parts.

I always recommend people look at the General Excalibur lift. It is rock solid, easy height adjust, and so far as I know, it may be the only 4-post design available. FWW did a review in 2010(?) and tipped me into purchase for panel raising with the big PC router.

A 2-post design can work a little like a hinge aligned with the posts if the post attachment or the lift's table are not strong enough.

I use a TS wing for router table, so can't speak to General's table / fence systems.

https://jessem.com/collections/route...cel-ii-package I have this one without the casters. It is a nice table Added a couple drawers and a box for dust under table.

IMG_20200430_064634.jpg

10. I recently purchased a Jessem package with the Master-Lift and all the other goodies. Impressed with the level of finish and the ease in putting it together and using it. Really well thought out product and great quality. Would recommend without hesitation- and I'm not easily pleased.

Their shipping at this time is a little slow, so you might need to be patient. It took about 8 weeks for mine that I ordered at the end of the summer.

I also cannot comment on the Woodpeckers lift, or compare it to the Jessem/Incra Mast-R-Lift II.

But I do have the latter, and am very happy with it in an extension on my TS.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I've got the Woodpecker lift and I love it. Going from a crank system to the Woodpecker "insert handle and move" has been fantastic; I used to keep a drill nearby to adjust the height and now I can rough in quickly and then fine tune.

I got the Woodpeckers specifically because the insert rings screw in and lock. I have a router table dovetail jig and with the Incra magnetic rings there was just enough slop that the dovetails were never quite right - I wanted to eliminate the slop.

We had 3 Woodpecker lifts at our Guild. The good; fast height changes, Woodpeckers will repair free with quick turna around. The bad; started having issues with lift not holding position, we were sending them in monthly. Replaced with Woodpecker table tops matched with Jessem Master lifts And Jessem Master fences. Jessem is a little slower with the cranking but all-in-all I think they are the preferred choice.
    Chuck

I have had the Woodpecker's PRL-V2 for several years and enjoy using it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I am leaning towards the Jessem. I'd love to have seen it in person as I have seen the woodpecker system many times and always felt it was 10-fold quality over my rockler setup.